STUMPED! soupy beer...

one month later (3+ in bottle)...and I would say it had something to do with the late additions.
here is a fresh glass of my cold-hop "only" brew...clear as can be :)

2018-07-15 16.54.33.jpg

2018-07-15 16.52.02.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Patience usually pays off. ;)

How much flour are you getting from your mill ? I like using large late hop additions and still get clear beer .
I sometimes no chill but not usually for my hop bombs
I do fine with polyclar and use whirlfloc in boil

I wrote an article for another forum a long time ago on how to get clear beer (I don't use gelatin or after boil finings). It's older, but not outdated: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/clear-wort-clear-beer.html Some of those tips might help you.

I make a ton of IPAs, and utilize whirlpool hops, and never have an issue with wort or beer clarity, so it's not the late hopping.
Yooper, I learned a lot from this article and the one High voltage posted in this thread. Thanks for sharing.

I recently brewed a blonde ale and got the clearest wort I've ever had - picture below. I figured it was because this is the lightest colored beer I've ever made... but after reading this thread I realized I had a lot of firsts with this beer- First time I ever boiled for 90 minutes, did a whirlpool to settle hops better, adjusted pH and first time I've used a whirlfloc tablet in some time!
So, I suppose I should have good faith that my beer may turn out this clear upon completion? I sure hope so!
Lawnmower Blonde.jpg

How much flour are you getting from your mill ? I like using large late hop additions and still get clear beer .
I sometimes no chill but not usually for my hop bombs
I do fine with polyclar and use whirlfloc in boil
I don't mill my own, so can only report on what I get pre-milled...and it is fairly course, not much flour.

I hope to make a beer this clear someday! Beautiful!
in this case, after swapping out late-additions with dry-hopping, it was just a matter of patience. Most of my brews don't last 3 months in the bottle. ;-)

Back