Show me your gardening Progress

Ok @Sunfire96 ...more amphibian id work...down in the garden staking tomatoes and I have noted lots of these little guys...thinking just your run of the mill hop toad but all of them are this black color....is it a phase or a species?

20210718_163528.jpg

Ok @Sunfire96 ...more amphibian id work...down in the garden staking tomatoes and I have noted lots of these little guys...thinking just your run of the mill hop toad but all of them are this black color....is it a phase or a species?

View attachment 16649
I will get on it! Long day on the road so I'll get to it tomorrow

View attachment 16649
Looks like your standard cane toad to me time to get the 9 iron out:eek:!

As I was cleaning up, dumping brewing waste in the garden, I spotted a little Baja California Tree Frog, just hanging out on the edge of a garden watering bucket. They are around, as we hear them frequently near home. But this was the first one I have ever seen. A frog day.

No grass no need to mow!:)
That last photo on bottom of page them big leafy plants behind what looks like an olive are they Tumeric?
I know I'm a bit obsessed with the stuff
They could be Arrowroot as well not sure if you get that Stuff In SA
We make biscuits out of it in Aus not many would know what the plant looks like though.

No grass no need to mow!:)
That last photo on bottom of page them big leafy plants behind what looks like an olive are they Tumeric?
I know I'm a bit obsessed with the stuff
They could be Arrowroot as well not sure if you get that Stuff In SA
We make biscuits out of it in Aus not many would know what the plant looks like though.

Almost right;
It's galangal ;)
I got turmeric and ginger growing as well

Almost right;
It's galangal ;)
I got turmeric and ginger growing as well
Well there ya go! Leaf is way different than ginger leaf I hear Galangal is similar to Ginger?
We grow heaps of ginger around Sunny Coast.
Also the big Pineapple is near where I live I've herd South Africa Built a near replica but just bigger than ours lol!

Well there ya go! Leaf is way different than ginger leaf I hear Galangal is similar to Ginger?
We grow heaps of ginger around Sunny Coast.
Also the big Pineapple is near where I live I've herd South Africa Built a near replica but just bigger than ours lol!

Galangal is more peppery than ginger and is used a lot in Thai and Indonesian cooking and I suppose also in other SE Asian cooking
Screenshot_20210721-085432.png

View attachment 16649
Sorry for the delay! So it seems there are 3 toad species found in PA. We can first eliminate the spadefoot toad as a possibility due to the prominent parotoid glands on your toad specimen (the large nodules behind the eyes. Spadefoot toads' parotoid glands are severely reduced).

So that leaves the Eastern american toad (or hoptoad as you called it) and the Fowler's toad. Due to the shape of the parotoid glands (elongated vs kidney shaped) and the presence of the white/light-colored line down the spine, I believe this is a Fowler's toad. Hoptoads also have a "spur" connecting the cranial ridge behind the eye to the parotoid gland, which I'm not seeing in the above picture. However none of the photos I found of either species are quite that dark, but the Fowler's toad had more dark gray examples than any of the hoptoads.

The other methods for distinguishing these species are abdominal and throat coloration which I can't see in this pic.

That's my guess at least! Thanks for giving me a reason to dust off the ol' zoology degree :D

Sources:
https://www.tn.gov/twra/wildlife/amphibians/frogs-and-toads/fowlers-toad.html

https://www.fishandboat.com/Resourc...mphibiansReptiles/Pages/TheFrogsandToads.aspx

The other methods for distinguishing these species are abdominal and throat coloration which I can't see in this pic.

Got a " bolo " on hoppy.....hmmmmm....maybe I should check out around my Fuggles..yeah I know but I like dad jokes!

Back