Session Pale Ale - Beginner's recipe...

Discussion in 'Recipes for Feedback' started by Hartest Brewing Co, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Hartest Brewing Co

Hartest Brewing Co New Member

Hi all, I am new to the forum so my name is Rik and i'm starting a part-time community brewing company to hopefully sell beer, earn a modest profit and use these profits for local community ventures. Doing good from drinking beer! (hartestbrewing.co)

I am in the process of putting together a range of beers but the core IPA i want to produce i'm most nervous about. Our local pub does a rather bland Pale Ale and an American Pale Ale. They are just not interesting.

This is my recipe for my IPA. I wanted it to stand up a bit and have more character so have used small amounts of Vienna, Munich and Biscuit to give it depth.

Now hops. My last batch was a little overly bitter for some (I liked it) so i have made adjustments. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding what i've used this time round.

The recipe is here https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/467507/hartest-pale-ale

Thanks all, happy brewing!

Rik

2. LlewellynBrewHaus

LlewellynBrewHaus Active Member

[My 2 cents :)]
    when I think of IPA I think of hops not so much for the malt. I would stream line the malt bill to either pale + C60 + munich or Pils +c 60 + munich . Hopping schedule looks pretty solid ..I would drop the 10 and 5 and move them to knockout. Lastly, what temp will you be dry hopping @ ? Max extraction has been thought to occur @ 68-70F and I feel that 14 day may be a bit lengthy leading to veg and grass off flavors . 5 days should have all the extraction of hop flavor and aroma you need .

Prost

3. J A

J A Well-Known Member

4. Hartest Brewing Co

Hartest Brewing Co New Member

Hi, thanks for the advice! Is that 0.5 days or 5 days. Rogue full-stop is confusing me sorry :)

5. LlewellynBrewHaus

LlewellynBrewHaus Active Member

Lol
    five days is my go to dry hop time

J A and chub1 like this.
  6. BoomerBrian

BoomerBrian Active Member

Software Developer
    I would simplify the grain bill. My go to pale ale is 2row, c40, and carapils.

Hops looks good.