Recipe Builder Mash Type selections: What do they do?

Mallonee's Malt

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to adapt my new Christmas toy - a BeerMKR into the recipe builder.

It's an interesting and clever device but it combines some brewing steps and puts process breakpoints in different places.

As nearly as I can model it the mashing step is basically the same as BIAB. It brings water temperature in the grain (slowly) up to about 160F and then drops it back to do mashing and Pasteurization. No boil.

RecipeBuilderMashTypeChoices.jpg

My question is: How do all of the options in the mashing schedule affect the math and process?

What is a "temperature mash" procedurally and how does that affect the calculations? There may already be a mash process listed here that does what I need it to do, but I can't find any documentation on what happens and what is assumed if you select one or another option. I saw a reference that the recipe builder "knows" that a decoction doesn't add water.

And seriously, what calculation is there for Vorlauf?

I'm trying to adapt my new Christmas toy - a BeerMKR into the recipe builder.

It's an interesting and clever device but it combines some brewing steps and puts process breakpoints in different places.

As nearly as I can model it the mashing step is basically the same as BIAB. It brings water temperature in the grain (slowly) up to about 160F and then drops it back to do mashing and Pasteurization. No boil.

View attachment 19153

My question is: How do all of the options in the mashing schedule affect the math and process?

What is a "temperature mash" procedurally and how does that affect the calculations? There may already be a mash process listed here that does what I need it to do, but I can't find any documentation on what happens and what is assumed if you select one or another option. I saw a reference that the recipe builder "knows" that a decoction doesn't add water.

And seriously, what calculation is there for Vorlauf?

It sounds like you do a temperature AND infusion, sort of. You can use Strike or infusion for your step so that you can get the water amount correct. For vorlauf, that is a mash step but it's in the instructions and not an infusion.

To add a little more, we do have an update planned/coming that will hopefully clarify what each step does as well as clean up the list of steps.

To add a little more, we do have an update planned/coming that will hopefully clarify what each step does as well as clean up the list of steps.

Oh, thanks. I think I finally realized that some of those were for brewday instructions.
Yes explanation for where the different mash step affect the math would be appreciated.

I'm coming to the conclusion that BeerMKR is a different model that forces some different steps. Fun, though. I've already brewed more batches this calendar year than I did the last two years combined and I'm about to embark on a specific recipe refinement because of it.

Back