Random thought for the day

Thanks everyone!! :D I'll be late to zoom meetings from now on, but I'll still be there!

All of my nerding out over beer has finally paid off...this morning I accepted a full time position with a local brewery. I'll be an assistant manager and sales associate. Some of these things are out of my wheel house (I probably won't need my manure shoveling prowess...), but I'm super excited to get started and explore a new opportunity in an industry I care a lot about :D
Shoveling manure, shoveling spent grain...

Congrats on finding a new paying passion!

All of my nerding out over beer has finally paid off...this morning I accepted a full time position with a local brewery. I'll be an assistant manager and sales associate. Some of these things are out of my wheel house (I probably won't need my manure shoveling prowess...), but I'm super excited to get started and explore a new opportunity in an industry I care a lot about :D

Congrats on landing a dream job! Do you think this will lead to becoming a brewer there?

Congratulations. You'll do great!

Sitting here in my natural sauna (hot 'n humid weather), drinking red wine as I'm enough of g & t...
The mind keeps wandering, music playing in the background (Bruce at the moment)
First (proper) job I had, we had some form of company internet, this was 1991.
Before that, I remember buying a hard drive for my AT computer with lotus 123, wp 4.2, lazy larry etc. 20 MB hard drive cost me 600 guilders (around 400 U$):eek:
5 1/4" floppy and 3.5" hard floppy...

Development has gone fast. My phone got a 128 GB micro SD card

But that's not what I was going to say, just rambling
What I was going to say is that just 30 years ago, I would never have "met" you, so let's enjoy

And in case you wonder, I'm a very relaxed, not always very deep, too much drinks on a Saturday night, person:p

Gotta go with @Zambezi Special observations. Things have changed. A LOT. I can still remember BBS systems running at 1200 Baud dial-up connections before the internet (I had one), optional math co-processors in 8 bit computers, 30MB hard disks and 2 MB RAM being more than you could ever think about using in a PC. I think I still have some of those old hard disks which are probably completely useless for anything now except trot-line sinkers. Single programs are now larger than hard disks used to be, let alone enormity of the data files they keep. Programs were simpler, and more reliable, and rarely crashed. I don't miss the slow communications, but I do miss the days when 5 out of 10 smart people weren't some kind of deviant trying to steal your personal information. It was a different world then.

Gotta go with @Zambezi Special observations. Things have changed. A LOT. I can still remember BBS systems running at 1200 Baud dial-up connections before the internet (I had one), optional math co-processors in 8 bit computers, 30MB hard disks and 2 MB RAM being more than you could ever think about using in a PC. I think I still have some of those old hard disks which are probably completely useless for anything now except trot-line sinkers. Single programs are now larger than hard disks used to be, let alone enormity of the data files they keep. Programs were simpler, and more reliable, and rarely crashed. I don't miss the slow communications, but I do miss the days when 5 out of 10 smart people weren't some kind of deviant trying to steal your personal information. It was a different world then.

1200 Baud? You were lucky! :p

1200 Baud? You were lucky! :p

1200! Yup that was new stuff. I ran a bbs out of my house on an Atari computer with a 300 baud modem to start moved up to 1200 baud and later figured a way to adapt a 3.5 inch floppy to my Atari! I was stylin!

Thinking back I think I even jumped up to 9600 baud.

Thinking back I think I even jumped up to 9600 baud.
By the time Al introduced the internet to the world, I had taken mine to 14,400. Still have a couple old US Robotics 14400 modems. Dunno why, just conversation pieces, I guess. That's one difference in computer hardware and old cars. Old cars get more valuable as they get older. Old computer hardware just becomes hard to get rid of.

Random Thought of The Day: Wear with pride the scars on your skin, for they are a map of the adventures and places you have been!
From Poi Dog Pondering

Random Thought of The Day: Wear with pride the scars on your skin, for they are a map of the adventures and places you have been!
From Poi Dog Pondering
I think mine have a couple references to “Hell” with highlighted routes back home

So, if you have to put your bottle of gin in the fridge to get a remotely cold gin & tonic, does that mean it's hot outside?
Screenshot_20221023-170416.png

I have to admit it is on the hot side (understatement using British English).
But as long as the gin and the tonic is cold, and plentiful, it's jolly good :p

Seriously, it's freaking hot and I got no aircon. Dogs are on and under wet blankets during daytime.
You'll learn to deal with it as there's no choice

I have to admit it is on the hot side (understatement using British English).
But as long as the gin and the tonic is cold, and plentiful, it's jolly good :p

Seriously, it's freaking hot and I got no aircon. Dogs are on and under wet blankets during daytime.
You'll learn to deal with it as there's no choice
The nights look decent enough, but yeah, those daytime temperatures are a bit extreme, especially if it’s muggy too.

Back