Q3 BFC Quarterly Recipie 2022.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1290472/herms-wheat-5-gal-
I scaled it to 5.25 gallons to the Fermentor and rounded off. Also changed to a batch sparge.
Take a look @Herm_brews and see if this is ok before I adjust the water.
Thanks and looking forward to this!
I bet it'll be as good as your bread!
Cheers
I just checked your recipe, and it looks good to me.
My most recent batches of bread have incorporated spent beer grain flour from this recipe, and the breads have been good.

A nice and easy brew day ended in a couple of inconsequential points hIgh. Looking forward to this Herm, the Azacca hops smelled so good.

Now I need to figure out what to do about the tincture. @Herm_brews, how different do you think the beer would be if instead of a tincture, I just added a slice of tangerine to the glass? Too overwhelming if added right in the glass?

9A5704B1-B5B3-4096-BF62-DD70A9A8AF36.jpeg

A nice and easy brew day ended in a couple of inconsequential points hIgh. Looking forward to this Herm, the Azacca hops smelled so good.

Now I need to figure out what to do about the tincture. @Herm_brews, how different do you think the beer would be if instead of a tincture, I just added a slice of tangerine to the glass? Too overwhelming if added right in the glass?

View attachment 21343
Glad you had an easy and enjoyable brew day @Megary - you gotta love being on target.
What I was trying to achieve was the aroma and flavor of tangerine already in the beer, that is why I went with the tincture. If you can find Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat, then you can taste for yourself what I was aiming for. In the absence of a tincture, it might work to cut a thin slice of peel from an orange or tangerine, express the oils from the peel around the edge of your glass, then drop the expressed peel into your poured beer. And if you want to add a slice of fresh fruit, why not. It is your beer!

The back wall of my brewing corner should get a last coat of paint today.
Then, when everything is back in place, I can brew again.
I was planning on Q3 brew, with bry97. Then realised that my temperatures are too high for that yeast.
Then remembered I ordered a 12 volt temp regulator for my solar fridge :)
So, patiently waiting for it to arrive (in a friend's suitcase)

OK.. Got all the bits for this beer - they arrived today - and the yeast is in the fridge. I have never had any success with fresh liquid yest so far so here is hoping this one turns out well.

I plan to brew this next week sometime so it will ferment while we are away in Jersey - the island of Jersey not New Jersey...

I also invested in small bottles of Tangerine Essence to add as suggested. I plan to "infect" a bottle of lager with increasing number of drops until I get a working taste level then multiply it up. The advert says it is industrial strength (food grade of course) so I should have enough for 40 pints. We shall see.

upload_2022-7-5_22-12-31.png

I plan to brew this next week sometime so it will ferment while we are away in Jersey - the island of Jersey not New Jersey
View attachment 21362
Hey, youse gots a problem wit New Joisey? :p

Just remember liquid yeast needs oxygen and you'll be good.

And enjoy the original Jersey! :D

As my back has been improving (the weight loss is helping with this 25lbs to date), I will make this my first brew since last July. I will have to convert it to extract, hopefully I will get to it in the next month or so. Not sure what hops I have in the freezer, think I have Azacca, but if not I will probably swap out the hops to something I have on hand.

Kegged mine this morning. I was a little high on gravity at the start and finished a little low. Not the end of the world, but this has finished at 5.8%, a full point more than I wanted. Pushing the limits of “sessionability”. Anyway, the aroma from the Azacca hops was fantastic, very tropical. I decided against the tincture and will look to give it a little tangerine kick in the glass, if I think it needs it. That awesome aroma makes me think I won’t. We shall see. Looking forward to this one!

85D499E5-E456-4D78-91A1-13BFE7587B93.jpeg

Kegged mine this morning. I was a little high on gravity at the start and finished a little low. Not the end of the world, but this has finished at 5.8%, a full point more than I wanted. Pushing the limits of “sessionability”. Anyway, the aroma from the Azacca hops was fantastic, very tropical. I decided against the tincture and will look to give it a little tangerine kick in the glass, if I think it needs it. That awesome aroma makes me think I won’t. We shall see. Looking forward to this one!

View attachment 21536
Sound great Megary!
I'm thinking the same maybe just running with it as is and leave a citrus out.

Strike water is heating up for @Herm_brews Wheat beer.

Still not decided on citrus at end.
Half thinking of just rolling with it without.
20220723_135128.jpg

Or kaffir lime zest or mandarine zest.
What do we think?

Mashed in now figured i can use a temp probe from glycol rig to measure mash temp spot on 65c ish
20220723_135257.jpg

Came in way under on gravity
20220723_160513.jpg

11Brix - 1.044
Anyhow love the smell of Azacca bloody beautiful added two kaffir lime leaves in the No Chill hop bag along with 40g of Azacca pushed that 5min addition into the no chill easier.
20220723_150257.jpg

20220723_154135.jpg

Anyhow wort looks nice in the flask will spin some BRY-97 and pitch tomorrow
20220723_161609.jpg

What's that 3 hour brew sesh including clean up put away
Thanks Herm I love me a wheat beer. Cheers!

Last edited:
I'm also tempted to go more lemon/lime than tangarine

I'm also tempted to go more lemon/lime than tangarine.
@Trialben : have you tried making a couple of tears in the lime leaves? You'll get a lot more flavour out of them that way

@Herm_brews …Just delicious! The slice of fruit wasn’t really necessary as the aroma and flavor were very tropical, but it does add a bit of zip…and dresses up the picture. :) Tapped this yesterday and it was a hit with the wife and son as well, neither of whom are big beer drinkers. Perfect beer for a hot Sunday afternoon. This keg will not last long!

73C51A57-A28C-4951-B89E-A985E6B9D31B.jpeg

Last edited:
@Herm_brews …Just delicious! The slice of fruit wasn’t really necessary as the aroma and flavor were very tropical, but it does add a bit of zip…and dresses up the picture. :) Tapped this yesterday and it was a hit with the wife and son as well, neither of whom are big beer drinkers. Perfect beer for a hot Sunday afternoon. This keg will not last long!

View attachment 21688
Great looking presentation! Nicely done

Great looking presentation! Nicely done
Agreed!
@Megary good job, it looks like you’re the first to brew, ferment and present. I’m so glad somebody out there enjoyed my recipe as much as I did.
@Trialben I had the same issue when I brewed it, came in 6 points low on OG. However, in the end it fermented down to a point where the abv was as projected.

Agreed!
@Megary good job, it looks like you’re the first to brew, ferment and present. I’m so glad somebody out there enjoyed my recipe as much as I did.
@Trialben I had the same issue when I brewed it, came in 6 points low on OG. However, in the end it fermented down to a point where the abv was as projected.
Yup FG was 1 006 came in at 4.9% that'll do:)

Yup FG was 1 006 came in at 4.9% that'll do:)

Mine was way lower than posted in the recipe - and I don't know why (didn't concentrate enough when executing it I guess) but it started fermentation at 1.033 and finished at 1.008 so came out at 3.3% which aint so bad - it means I can drink more of it and it tastes great.

Mine was way lower than posted in the recipe - and I don't know why (didn't concentrate enough when executing it I guess) but it started fermentation at 1.033 and finished at 1.008 so came out at 3.3% which aint so bad - it means I can drink more of it and it tastes great.
Yup my OG was 1 044 but FG was predicted at 1.012 I ended up 6 points that end of fermentation so to speak. Might turn out drier not sure can't wait to taste a sample this weekend.

I rekon it's the wheat sometimes being harder than barley and a little slimmer may not mill as well.
Just a edit hypothesis not (hypnosis) but.

Last edited:

Back