Q3 BFC Quarterly Recipie 2022.

Sure, I would be honored. Maybe by the time my name is drawn from the tin....I have some experience and hopefully a decent recipe.
I just pray each quarter that my name is not pulled lol I don't think I have any recipes that someone else would want to brew :confused:

But it's all for fun of course :) and I think every quarterly recipe has been well received!

Wow.....I just hope I can get the ingredients......I'm definitely interested in participating. I'm going to be pretty busy in July so hopefully I can find time to brew...... :(
Yeah, most of the quarterly brews are changed somewhat by each brewer. The recipe is not sacrosanct. Use what you have/can get.

I'm looking forward to what's next. I didn't fit the last one into my schedule as the timing just didn't work out.
I also like to look into the recipes as a window into what the brewer is thinking.
No pressure Herm:)

Cool your in the tin Robert68 :).

Yup I agree for me it's been a broadening of my hombrewing experience. It's gratifying brewing a beer as close to speck that someone else has spent time honing down.

I'm a design my own recipe kinda brewer mostly through other recipes but eventually build up my own recipe based on info I've gathered.

I think it's another thing altogether following someone's tried and tested recipe knowing that each ingredients has a reason for being there.
With all the beers so far the end result has been a blood tasty version of the style that's for sure.

No disappointments only experience learned.

Working till 6 tonight so I may try to join on my phone from the shop.
If not, I won't be on till 630 ish

Alright, I’ll throw my hat in with this simple recipe for an American Wheat Beer. Prior to this, I have brewed a couple of Belgian style witbiers, neither of which were noteworthy. For this recipe, I have brewed it once and found the resulting beer very satisfying. My idea was to create a beer similar to Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat, long a favorite of mine. Online, I sought advice on how to obtain the tangerine aroma and flavor. What I found was that making a tangerine vodka tincture was the best option, and adding that tincture to the fermenter the day prior to bottling. For my batch, I zested 3 tangerines (bigger than a golfball, but smaller than a baseball), then added that zest to a couple ounces of good vodka (Tito’s) to infuse for a couple days. Some alterations not shown in the recipe are: An addition of zested tangerine skin late in the boil; the above mentioned addition of tangerine infused vodka tincture.
Since I have an abundance of Azacca hops, that is what I used for bittering and aroma/flavor. Any good American hops would probably work well in this recipe. My choice of White Labs California Ale Yeast seemed like a good choice for me, considering my lack of fermentation temperature control, and the yeast’s clean fermentation character.
As usual, I bottled the beer after 3 weeks in primary, adding the tangerine infused vodka tincture the day prior to bottling. Any flavor that you want to add would be fine, I’m sure.
So, here it is:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1269010/herms-azacca-wheat

If there are questions, please ask, and I’ll try to answer when I can. If this is anything like previous brews, it will take on a life of its own. Cheers!

Last edited:
image.jpg
And here is a good representative sample of said beer.

I got to check if naartjies (tangerine) are still in season, otherwise it will be another of the citrus family. Do you think that will work @Herm_brews ?
I got wheat malt, but will have to chop and change yeast & hops.
And honey malt. No idea what that is. Google will be my friend ;)

Man I sware we were brewing herms Amber Ale ah well another beer another time :)!

But man I've not brewed a wheat beer in too long!
Awesome !

American wheat beer cool I'll try and stick as close go your recipe as possible herm tangerine might be a stretch but I've got a bucket load of mandarines on the tree out back which funnily enough I was thinking about how the zest on them might go in a beer:p!

Thanks @The Brew Mentor for scaling the recipe cheers.
I'll flip this to metric and put it in the brew order tomorrow.

@Sunfire96 I'll leave you do the honours of adding it to the master list. Thankyou kindly :).

Cheers again Herm thanks for throwing your hat into the ring.

Into the highly esteemed Anals of BFC Recipe history your beer goes!

Oh so doing a quick " Honey Malt substitute " on google it seems the consensus is Melanoidin malt being the closest swap. There was a brulosophy exbeeriment on these malts compared in an exbeeriment which yielded an significant result.
So sounds like it's similar.
In others words same same but different...
Hmmm will have to ponder that one.

As far as a substitute, I don't think melanoidin alone would be the best option.
If I couldn't get it, I think I'd sub a 50/50 blend of the melanoidin/ caramel 20.
There's definitely a sweetness that you get from the honey malt that you don't get from the melanoidin.

As far as a substitute, I don't think melanoidin alone would be the best option.
If I couldn't get it, I think I'd sub a 50/50 blend of the melanoidin/ caramel 20.
There's definitely a sweetness that you get from the honey malt that you don't get from the melanoidin.
Cool will have a look at my suppliers list here in Aus I have seen Gambrinus Honey Malt over here before so I'll order that if I can.
I've herd so much talk of this malt on the forum here and never really thought much of it.
Will be great to taste it for myself.
Edit
Ah beauty yup they do stock it sweet!

My no chill metric version so far https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1290481/herms-bfc-wheatbeer
Look about right herm? I had to knock back the boil hops a bit to account for no chill

Last edited:
No melanoidin :(
No caramel 20 :(
But I got cara 40/crystal malt/aroma malt.
Use cara 40 at half amount:oops:?

Yeast is gonna be an issue.
If it would be hot here, I might chance Kveik Voss. But it isn't.
Only non Belgians I got are S33 and Bry-97.

It's gonna be a "No Longer Herm's American Wheat"

No melanoidin :(
No caramel 20 :(
But I got cara 40/crystal malt/aroma malt.
Use cara 40 at half amount:oops:?

Yeast is gonna be an issue.
If it would be hot here, I might chance Kveik Voss. But it isn't.
Only non Belgians I got are S33 and Bry-97.

It's gonna be a "No Longer Herm's American Wheat"
I know @Megary brews American Wheats quite often with BRY-97

Back