Q2 2022 Brew in Support of Ukrainian people.

Checked In on fermentation on the Syla Strength it's at 26c and I've started spunding.
I hit the PVR and yup I smelt banana well I did read this about the BE-256.
10 days in and the Putin Huylo inspired Helles is still bubbling away, think this is the longest I've ever had Mauri 497 active(of course I usually brew stuff a bit lower gravity), almost always DONE in 7 days.

10 days in and the Putin Huylo inspired Helles is still bubbling away, think this is the longest I've ever had Mauri 497 active(of course I usually brew stuff a bit lower gravity), almost always DONE in 7 days.
Checked gravity on the Syla Strength yesterday.
I've got a finishing hydrometer (atleast I didn't smash this one) gravity is at 1.007-8 ish
So yup that BE-256 sure boogies along.

Sample was hot man that thing was near flammable lol I'm gunna leave it for a day or three to clean up then chill.

I'm looking at "Syla"
As I like a tripel and I think I got most ingredients.
Just a couple questions:
OG seems high, but obviously that depends on equipment, boil off etc. Will plug it in, going by percentages and (expected) FG.
Can I use caramalt instead of cara munich? Or would aroma malt be better?

i haven't got Magnum (what does bsg stand for). Got none of the advised ones at this site https://grainfather.com/hop-substitution-guide/
Would Galena work?

Coriander & black pepper? Crushed?

I'm looking at "Syla"
Just a couple questions:
OG seems high, but obviously that depends on equipment, boil off etc. Will plug it in, going by percentages and (expected) FG.

i haven't got Magnum (what does bsg stand for). Got none of the advised ones at this site https://grainfather.com/hop-substitution-guide/
Would Galena work?

BSG is just a brand of packaged hops, I would think any similarish neutral bittering hop would work for the eary addition. I'd think you should be able to sub crystal 40l(Light Crystal) or similar for the caramunich.

I'm looking at "Syla"
Just a couple questions:

Would Galena work?

Not sure on the malt substitution but, my preference would be for cara-munich.
BSG is just a company name (Brewer's Supply Group)
I brewed the Putin Huylo and used ground coriander. I watched one of their live stream brew days and I'm pretty sure they used whole coriander seeds. I'll crack the first bottle of Putin Huylo this weekend and will give an update then.

Not sure on the malt substitution but, my preference would be for cara-munich.
BSG is just a company name (Brewer's Supply Group)
I brewed the Putin Huylo and used ground coriander. I watched one of their live stream brew days and I'm pretty sure they used whole coriander seeds. I'll crack the first bottle of Putin Huylo this weekend and will give an update then.

Any update yet?
Wondering about the coriander and pepper. I used much more than that for my wheat and tripel. More like 3-4 gr per 6.5 litres. Coriander that is.
Never used pepper till now.

I haven't brewed mine yet.

I had one last Friday and another last night. Last night's bottle a full fruity aroma and a great taste. The flavor had a touch of tartness to it, which was perfect for me. Friday night's bottle was good but, probably due to having slightly less carbonation, didn't have all the aroma that last night's bottle had. By this weekend it should be fully conditioned and I expect it to taste even better.

I'm glad I doubled the coriander. I think without doubling, it's flavor contribution wouldn't have been undetectable. I didn't add pepper (didn't have it in the recipe I used) but, I think that would have been a good addition as well.

Any update yet?
Wondering about the coriander and pepper. I used much more than that for my wheat and tripel. More like 3-4 gr per 6.5 litres. Coriander that is.
Never used pepper till now.

I haven't brewed mine yet.
I opted to leave the coriander and pepper out of mine
My sample yesterday i had I wish I'd added it.
It's top early to get a clear idea on what I've created on my version of the Syla Strength.

Yup I agree @BarbarianBrewer I'd add coriander over pepper.
Don't mix coriander with Caraway it's more aniseedy I hear...

Caraway and Cumin are alike... And look alike.
Coriander is quite different.
I'm going to put both coriander & pepper. Crushed.
Pepper as per recipe as I think it can over power
Coriander as I did in a previous brew (off hand, I think that is about 3 times the amount)
Wish me luck ;)

Caraway and Cumin are alike... And look alike.
Coriander is quite different.
I'm going to put both coriander & pepper. Crushed.
Pepper as per recipe as I think it can over power
Coriander as I did in a previous brew (off hand, I think that is about 3 times the amount)
Wish me luck ;)
Amen I've mixed them up in curry lol

Just having a taster of that Syla Strength.
20220429_173711.jpg

Yup it sure smells Belgian Origin from the few dubbles I've wrapped my gillards around.
Bannana - clove- spice-fruity ballanced nice rounded body finishing oh so smooth with some warmth on the roof of the mouth and belly.
Deceptively Dangerous already this should condition into a fine beer I Believe :)

Now Zambezi you gotta do the coriander and pepper cus I wanna know where that takes it!:D

Syla is on the go.
Well Sort of Slyla, as I had to make some changes.
Anyway, it will get coriander. 2 gr crushed, to be added with 10 min left to boil.
No black pepper. Can't find it back anywhere as an addition to beer. But.....
I'll add a coarsely chopped chili pepper at flame out.
Here's hoping to a decent brew day!

She's in the fermenter after a semi-no chill.
OG is a bit high. I knocked over my original sample, so just pitched and used a little left over to measure gravity with my refractometer. It's 20+ :rolleyes:
Scale goes to 20, but I can just see the blue line, so I think 20.5
Highest I've ever done, but then a tripel is allowed to be high alcohol:D

Syla has been going for 2 weeks now.
I can't take a gavity sample without opening the fermenter.
Would 2 weeks be long enough for T58?

Saison is ready as well. I would like to bottle them both on the same day. First Syla then saison.
Would safe a bit on cleaning ;)

Syla has been going for 2 weeks now.
I can't take a gavity sample without opening the fermenter.
Would 2 weeks be long enough for T58?

Saison is ready as well. I would like to bottle them both on the same day. First Syla then saison.
Would safe a bit on cleaning ;)
I'd bottle but I'd take a FG to be sure.
Honestly though I can't see why fermentation is still happening.
In the hundred pluss ferms I've done very few have crawled beyond 14days but high Gravity beers are an exception.

Thanks Ben
I'll give it a couple of days to mentally prepare myself :p
And then it is all systems go!
I think I am going to put some apple juice on the left over trub as well

I agree with Ben, high gravity beers take longer. A couple days should do it, and even if not, drink it fast!

Back