Q2 2022 Brew in Support of Ukrainian people.

I just converted the San to Don - Ukrainian Imperial Stout 9.3%
I'm going to give it a bash. I have looked at the Labels suggested by Pravda and tried to include what they suggested.
Getting the ingredients scaled down so as to maintain the OG and ABV was awkward to say the least.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1258902/ukrainian-imperial-stout

Don't remember where but I've seen it, but this one was referred to as a Ukranian Anti-Imperial Stout. May be misleading on the style but spot-on with the sentiment!

Edited for grammer.

Last edited:
I just converted the San to Don - Ukrainian Imperial Stout 9.3%
I'm going to give it a bash. I have looked at the Labels suggested by Pravda and tried to include what they suggested.
Getting the ingredients scaled down so as to maintain the OG and ABV was awkward to say the least.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1258902/ukrainian-imperial-stout
Your a brave man chewing off the biggest beer of them all.
Good luck with it I hope it turns out great!

Changed “Putin Huylo” up a bit when brewed it. Switched out the Magnum for Cluster, the Perle for Triple Pearl and will dry hop with Crystal instead of Saphir…pitched it with WLP800 Pilsner Lager. Figure it’s going to be a mutant Helles Bock.

I'll be brewing this one Mon/Tue next week (assuming the weather doesn't interfere). I will have to swap out the Saphir because LHBS doesn't carry it. But, they should have the other two. So, @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews, why did you swap out the Magnum & Perle? Just curios if it's what you have in stock or something about the hops that you do or don't like.

I'll be brewing this one Mon/Tue next week (assuming the weather doesn't interfere). I will have to swap out the Saphir because LHBS doesn't carry it. But, they should have the other two. So, @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews, why did you swap out the Magnum & Perle? Just curios if it's what you have in stock or something about the hops that you do or don't like.
I’ve got a ton of Cluster and Triple Pearl is pretty close to Perle, and Midwest grown(Gorst Valley Hops). Also used all whole cones in the kettle.

brew4ukraine_tw.png

I brewed Putin Huylo yesterday. I extended the boil to get closer to the expected OG. At flameout I remembered that I hadn't yet added the sugar. As a result my OG was a little high. Didn't want to top off and risk an overflow.

PXL_20220322_144438751.jpg

Last edited:
Kegged Putin Huylo today, decided to just put it on CO2 @ 34oF for 2-3 weeks and bottle from the keg. Have a bit of an overabundance of roasted malts right now so I made some substitutions on the Ukrainian Imperial Stout and ordered what I didn't have on hand. It'll be a couple brews back in the que, Need to do the Nat Com beers next.

Bottled Putin Huylo today. Left a 1/2 gallon in the fermentation bucket when the siphon lost suction :oops:. Taste was nice and smooth. I expected a bit more hop bitterness but, will see how it tastes in a couple weeks, after it carbonates.

Putin Huylo labels2.jpg

Last edited:
Brewed a 2nd variation of Putin Huylo today, This one should be a bit more Hellesish, is that a word? Going to send one of the two to the National Homebrew Comp as a Helles Bock.

Back