Pulling out fence posts.

I don't really have a problem moving my wooden fence posts.
The termites eat them!
I can send you some of those buggers to help you :D

I don't really have a problem moving my wooden fence posts.
The termites eat them!
I can send you some of those buggers to help you :D
Wow yeah ive herd there are plenty over there in Africa I'd be a busy boy:D:rolleyes:.

I was half thinking steel posts here but purchased timber just on convenience as the timber store didn't sell steel post option.

A lot harder to nail the cross boards to a steel post.

Can always use a Simpson strong tie into the concrete and then bolt the post to that. Makes replacement easy

I have a chain link fence in the back yard. I had to pull out a couple of the cemented in posts to get a tree guy in the back yard. He left, cemented in some new posts. Next yeat I had trouble with the water well lines. Had to pull out those posts again to get one of those big boring machines in the back. This time I cemented in some PVC pipe the posts would slide into.
Each time I pulled the post, the hole got bigger. If I had to pull them again I might have to call a cement truck.

I would have said to use a sledge to break up concrete but looks like you got it

You probably know this, but for fence posts you don't need to mix the concrete first. Just put the post in the hole, use small boards to hold it level and plumb, then pour the dry concrete mix unto the hole. Just water it (like it was a tree) and over a day or two the concrete will garden just fine, mostly from soil moisture.

The bottom of the wood should touch soil not concrete, it needs to be able to drain.

Yup that's what I'm planning on doing. Just gotta fill in holes a bit so their not so wide or I'll be spending a lot on concrete.

I've got an old bin I was going to put in the hole then pack the soil around it then pull the bin out then concrete into this.

Actually the bottom of the post should rest on gravel or crushed stone. That will keep the bottom of the post from sitting in water.
Thanks for the heads up makes a lot of sence at the moment as well considering them.post holes are full of water from the rain we've been getting.

I was thinking a brick or two at the bottom to rest the post on. I've got a few of them lying around.

Smash up a brick with that adze? I've seen some pretty wild ways of removing fence posts but I always used a tractor.

Smash up a brick with that adze? I've seen some pretty wild ways of removing fence posts but I always used a tractor.
Ah man I can't believe I didn't think of my tractor lol:D.

Mate that would make a easy work of it for sure:D.
Good to see you back on here.
You brewing any bevvys ?

In this part of the world those fence posts would have been pushed out of the ground over the years by winter frost. We need to go down at least 4 feet here. At my last house I had to replace the deck as the idiot who built it only went down 18-24 inches. Not a fence, but same sort of deal. All of the concrete had been broken into pieces and pushed out of the ground. At the furthest point from the house the deck was about 9" higher. That first winter the back door was difficult to open from the force of the frost. The new deck I built was free standing, not attached to the house.
upload_2022-4-27_10-56-37.png

Ah man I can't believe I didn't think of my tractor lol:D.

Mate that would make a easy work of it for sure:D.
Good to see you back on here.
You brewing any bevvys ?

I think I'm gonna try and brew in the next couple days. It's been a lousy spring and I need to get back into it. Got 240V wired into my garage and now I just have to figure out how to wire my kettle on the cheap.

Back