primitive kveik beer ;)

Zambi

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I got part of my brewing kit back. Well, actually all of it, but I can't use it all yet due to power and other constraints.
I want to make a small batch, maybe 5 litres or so. Just to get back into things, but also because my malt is quite old by now. Smells OK though.
I'm looking at kveik as cooling is going to be tricky. No fridge/no ice/no proper container for no chill.
Still working on connectors for my immersion chiller.
I'm not fond of real bitter or dark ales. No ipa, no guinness . I quite like a blonde.
Any ideas?
If I make a real small batch, I could do no chill maybe by using a pressure cooker and closing the lid after the boil as thats quite a tight seal. But thats only 2-3 litres or so.
I got
Simpson pale ale malt
Simpson cara malt
Walts wheat malt
Walts pilsner malt
Walts lager malt
Saaz/fuggles/cascade/hallertau blanc and a little tetnanger

Any suggestions?

I was going to copy a previously made recipe, but then I figured that I probably can't just change from M41 to Voss Kveik without changing anything else

Voss Kveik can be real orange-y in flavor and aroma. Something with the Cascade makes the most sense to me. You could try for a citrusy American blonde ale with your pale ale malt, a little wheat for body/foam, and Cascade hops. Good luck! Can't wait to see what you come up with :)

P.S. kveik is technically a farmhouse strain, so don't be surprised if you get some twangy/tart flavors, especially if fermenting on the higher end of the temperature range. I've heard some brewers have had luck aging their kveik beers and the twang drops out after a couple months.

Kindred spirits I believe...

MV5BMTc4OGI2MmItMWEwMC00OThjLTg2MjItYzhiZGI1OGIwZjg1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjcwMzEzMTU@._V1_.jpg

I’m glad to see that you’re raring to get at it @Zambezi Special
Good luck with whatever you choose to brew!
It's not only the brewing, but also everything around it as I'm currently doing the plumbing and "designing" my brew and cookery area.
Where to place the taps, how to drain and collect the water, stove, electrics etc

I'd go 50/50 pale /pilsner with a splash of wheat for head retention. I love Sazz so I'd use that but I'd try and bitter with a higher AA hop and use the delecate Sazz for late in the boil.

My trick I'm using at the moment Zambezi is no chill right in the kettle overnight then transfer to fermentor for ferment.
Your kettle is sanitized from the boil you just did in it. I seal it up with aluminium foil and put the lid on for extra measure.

Good luck and welcome back to the brew kettle:)

I'd go 50/50 pale /pilsner with a splash of wheat for head retention. I love Sazz so I'd use that but I'd try and bitter with a higher AA hop and use the delecate Sazz for late in the boil.
I was thinking of using my stainless milk can. It doesn't have a spigot though, so I would have to siphon to a bottling bucket before bottling.
The alternative is letting the wort cool down enough before pouring straight into my plastic fermentation bucket with spigot.

My trick I'm using at the moment Zambezi is no chill right in the kettle overnight then transfer to fermentor for ferment.
Your kettle is sanitized from the boil you just did in it. I seal it up with aluminium foil and put the lid on for extra measure.

Good luck and welcome back to the brew kettle:)

. I love Sazz so I'd use that but I'd try and bitter with a higher AA hop and use the delecate Sazz for late in the boil.

Right with you there Ben! Love me the Saaz!! Check out my mhb blonde recipe, I just made it public...some of the stats might be off but you'll get the jist of it.

It's not only the brewing, but also everything around it as I'm currently doing the plumbing and "designing" my brew and cookery area.

Have fun with the planning Zambi...nothing like a blank canvas!

Right with you there Ben! Love me the Saaz!! Check out my mhb blonde recipe, I just made it public...some of the stats might be off but you'll get the jist of it.

Have fun with the planning Zambi...nothing like a blank canvas!

I'll definitely check!
Sofar I came up with
Start volume in kettle of 10.5 litre/batch volume kettle of 8 litres:
1400 gr Walt's Pilsner
150 gr Walt's lager
100 gr Walt's wheat malt

Hop
Hallertau blanc 9.1% - 6 gr - 60 min
Saaz 2.4 % - 4 gr - 10 min
Saaz 2.4 % - 4 gr - 1 min

Voss Kveik (Lallemand)

BIAB
1 step maisch @ 67 oC
1 hour boil

It's pretty close to something I made with M41, except I added some wheat malt like Ben suggested

I'll definitely check!
Sofar I came up with
Start volume in kettle of 10.5 litre/batch volume kettle of 8 litres:
1400 gr Walt's Pilsner
150 gr Walt's lager
100 gr Walt's wheat malt

Hop
Hallertau blanc 9.1% - 6 gr - 60 min
Saaz 2.4 % - 4 gr - 10 min
Saaz 2.4 % - 4 gr - 1 min

Voss Kveik (Lallemand)

BIAB
1 step maisch @ 67 oC
1 hour boil

It's pretty close to something I made with M41, except I added some wheat malt like Ben suggested
Just to throw in another option for you Zambezi.
I made this a few years ago inspired by @Ozarks Mountain Brew blond ale.
This is the beer I was thinking of when you were looking for ideas
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/550872/blondie
It's a nice lite easy drinking summer beer
The rice I pre cooked like I was making it to eat and mashed it in.

What you got there looks Tops though

Last edited:
Thsnks
Got it now.
Couldn't find the search button in the recipe section

Back