primitive kveik beer ;)

Running into a bit of a delay.
Working hard on getting my brewing (cooking/charcuteria) area sorted and when I moved the gas bottle, it was surprisingly light :eek:
Gotta organise a refill as my 2nd bottle is with a friend who was going to organise filling, but hasn't done so yet....
And brewing on charcoal doesn't hold much appeal, although.......

OK, gonna bite the bullet and brew tomorrow or Monday.
I figure I have enough gas for a small batch. So going through everything that needs doing today.
I'll stick with a recipe I made before for this time, except for the yeast. Still going to use kveik.
How much do you reckon I need for a 5-6 ltr batch (fermenter volume)?
It will be biab and I get to use my grain mill for the first time! Mill as fine as possible?
I got a choice of 2 fermenters. Stainless without spigot (and I am not too sure how well it closes, is a converted milk can) and a plastic one with spigot (never seen a bubble through the airlock, so it is leaking somewhere as well, but no extra handling before bottling)
I'll use an immersion chiller to cool everything down. Water temp is about 26-27 oC, air temp about 35-38 oC.
What would be a good temperature for pitching the kveik?

I'm sure more questions will arise ;)

I think you'll only need 2-3 grams of yeast. Kveik does well being underpitched.

I wouldn't mill as fine as possible, but it depends on how large the holes in your mash bag are. I would set the gap as if you were doing a typical sparge, but then send the grain through the mill twice, it will probably get you to the right size (called double milling). Check your extract efficiency and if you want it higher, mill slightly finer next time.

I would pick the plastic fermenter, especially if it's clear and you can monitor how the fermentation looks. I've stopped using airlocks all together, so a lack of bubbles wouldn't bother me.

If you can get the wort below 30C and then pitch that should be fine. As long as it stays below ~35C I think it'll be alright.

Good luck with the brew!

Yup I've pushed kviek particularly hornindal to 40c so you'll be fine there.
My mill is set to credit card thickness does me good I find and always have one them around.
Spigots are bacteria harboring places but will be easier I'd imagine for bottling.

Good luck it's been some time between mashes aye?

Yep, it's been some time and noticable as well!
Brewed this morning, pot is cooling as I write.
I tried setting the mill to creditcard thickness, but I Ozzie cards must be thicker ;)
Couldn't get any grain to crush and the handle kept getting loose.
I opened the gap a bit and crushing went fine. I double crushed, but I am sure I opened the gap far too much resulting in lower than expected gravity readings

Anyway, that's with hindsight.
Heated water to just below 74 oC, added grains and put the pot into it's own cosy place. This held the temperature extremely well. After an hour it was 67-68 oC, a little higher than I wanted.
But refractometer reading of only just over 6. The other refracto said 7 and a bit and the hydrometer 1.020. All at higher temps than should have been. The sample tasted sweet though.
Decided I should increase the boil to 90 minutes, but the gas bottle had different ideas.
My hop additions got thrown out a bit as well.
I used the immersion chiller for a short while, maybe 5-10 minutes, but it is too big for the pot I used and I decided to remove it and close the lid to let it cool down naturally. Temperature was below 60 oC so I don't expect an extra bittering effect.
I contemplated adding sugar, but decided to let it go. I'll just end up with a fairly low alcohol beer. But it will be beer!!!!

Twice milled grain
IMG_20211128_075529.jpg

Nice comfortable mash house ;)
IMG_20211128_075956.jpg

Pre-boil sample
IMG_20211128_095618.jpg

Probably needed a bit more crush to those grains, but like you said it'll be beer!
I agree, my crush for BIAB is usually much finer than pictured. In any case, good on you @Zambezi Special for getting back on the horse. In a few weeks, you’ll be drinking homebrew.

I would pick the plastic fermenter, especially if it's clear and you can monitor how the fermentation looks. I've stopped using airlocks all together, so a lack of bubbles wouldn't bother m

Have you gone to a blow off tube then leave it or are you doing open fermenting?

I moved everything to the fermenter last evening and pitched Kveik.
Moved the fermenter into a coolbox to equalise (day/night) temperatures somewhat.
After 1.5 hours, I realised I forgot to take a gravity sample, so quickly did a refractometer reading.
Today, I need to check/calibrate my refractometers as they give different readings. And I need to check settings on.my grain mill.
Now for the difficult part: patience ;)

I don't know if it's helpful or not, but here's what my typical crush would look like when I milled for BIAB. Good luck, keep us posted :)

Attachments

• 20210423_123400.jpg
    20210423_123400.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 46
The mill is brand new, so I'm sure it is operator error!
I will eventually go and run it with a battery drill, but for small amounts, I rather go by hand.
Does this look a bit better?
IMG_20211129_145617.jpg

I will eventually go and run it with a battery drill, but for small amounts, I rather go by hand.
View attachment 18412
That looks like a little too much flour to me, but it depends on how big the mesh holes in your bag are. You don't want all that powder ending up in your boil kettle

View attachment 18412
My crush with BIAB is far more flour-ish than that. I run my grain through a Kitchen Aid grain mill that tears that malt to shreds. But...I am not saying my crush is right or wrong. Through trial and error, it's simply what I have found gives me an acceptable efficiency. I believe one of the trade offs with the simplicity of BIAB is that I have to accept some cloudy wort because of my very fine crush. However, I have also found that cloudy wort does not equate to cloudy finished beer. YMMV.

Last edited:

Back