Preparations complete

Good idea Crunk a few more brews and you'll know what to expect next. You definitely don't want to put sweet unattenuated wort into bottles you know the results :D. BOTTLE BOMBS ! Adds a new edge to your drinking session like drinking hand Granades you never know if this bottle your about to open will explode :p.

Don't want to freak you out but it could happen...

Don't get me wrong, this is definitely a hobby you can go down the rabbit hole with.

I try to keep in mind that people several thousand years ago were able to make this stuff. Given everything we have now, a few degrees off here or there doesn't really matter.

This stuff wants to be beer. You have to really try to not let happen

Will it be the absolute best, no. But will it be drinkable and make you want to try better next time? Absolutely yes

Will it be the absolute best, no. But will it be drinkable and make you want to try better next time? Absolutely yes

This is exactly where I'm at. I'm excited to learn more, improve my brewing process, and create a few beverages that anyone can enjoy anytime.

Advice taken, put into motion and both batches are coming along quite nicely.

Thank you men and women for the help.

3rd week of fermentation I took a sample for gravity reading and tasted the lager, it's very sweet after 2 weeks, not alarming, just unexpected, 2 more days for diacetal rest at 65, then Wednesday I will cold crash it, till Saturday or Sunday, and then bottle it, I'll be kegging very soon. Going to buy a blichmann quick carb next week.

New update, I was taking my fg with a refractometer forgot alcohol weighs different than sugar water, I took it with my hydrometer and it is at 1.016, I raised the temp 4 ° and I will raise it 3 more degrees tomorrow and 3 more the following day for the diacetyl rest, the cold crash it to 34° for a couple days, I should get a few more points out of it.

It's sweet flavor is gone, it tastes good.

I have a lager fermenting too, been following your lager part of the thread. Never had a visually-stunning, active early fermentation but it seems to be chugging along. I just moved my fermenter to a warmer room too after I saw you do it.

I'm sending mine into a diacetal rest I just adjust the temp on the controller I have it in a controlled glass front refer.

Good reads there crunk. I stick pretty much to that ferm schedule but I've been skimping on Lagering at near freezing. I cold crash to 0c not sure of Fahrenheit but I'll do this for 5 days rack to keg add gelitin and then carbonate. I see keg storage at 4c as an effective Lagering period. The longer I leave it in the keg the better it gets:).

For me just starting out, I have to decipher all tip tricks hint, all my studying, and common sense, and make a plan, it's working nicely.

My next big venture in brewing in a few weeks is getting all the things I need for kegging bottling works, but I can see kegging would be beneficial to me,

For me just starting out, I have to decipher all tip tricks hint, all my studying, and common sense, and make a plan, it's working nicely.

My next big venture in brewing in a few weeks is getting all the things I need for kegging bottling works, but I can see kegging would be beneficial to me,
Exactly what I'd do crunk read up on beer styles how to brew to style and look for a reputable Brewer to follow and pick up tips and tricks to make brew day more efficient and of course gain valuable brewing experience from mistakes:D. That's one thing I love about this forum if your not 100% sure about a brewing issue you can post it up here and before long someone has been there and done that and can steer you in hopefully the right direction. We can learn from each other ;).

This forum has been extremely helpful. My thanks to everyone.

I'm waiting to test my first 2 batches before brewing more to see how they are and if there is any improvements in would like or need to make.

I'm a lager man myself, but I'm anxious to try some other styles soon.

Don't get me wrong, this is definitely a hobby you can go down the rabbit hole with.

I try to keep in mind that people several thousand years ago were able to make this stuff. Given everything we have now, a few degrees off here or there doesn't really matter.

This stuff wants to be beer. You have to really try to not let happen

jmcnamara, I was just thinking about this last night...there is so much that I DON'T know: the details of water chemistry (although I'm studying this now), the minute and different characteristics of all potential ingredients (again learning and studying over time), brewing methods and options, equipment, beer style characteristics known by heart, etc.

Yet despite the vast and steep learning curve and everything I don't know, I'm making some pretty darn good beer. Beer I would buy, beer I would order, beer I'm proud to give to others, beer that people say wow this is good.

My point is you can go down the rabbit hole for your own entertainment and self satisfaction (which I am, of course) - that's what makes it a fun hobby. But you don't have to and sticking to the basics is also fun and can produce virtually the same, great results.

Putting it in perspective that this is an ancient craft done well long before the advent of StarSan or knowledge of pH balancing, etc. can sure take some of the stress away and refocus you on the fun you're having.

Cheers!

I agree do not lose the interest and fun I just happen to enjoy building my water setting this profile for the beer those are things that keep me interested

On another note last Sunday when I was bottling up the ale a friend of mine stopped by and I gave them a small sample even though it hasn't been carbonated yet and they said it was very tasty

Cold crashing currently sitting at a nice 33°f gonna go to secondary Sunday, to lager for 4 to 6 weeks then probably keg, if I get all the corny kegs, and the quick carb by then.

Back