Preparations complete

I'll take a picture of the sample so you guys can see how clear it is I don't know how well it will show up there with me a couple minutes

Here it is

Attachments

• 20170121_133429_resized.jpg
    20170121_133429_resized.jpg
    663.9 KB · Views: 184
I have not hit the world flock yet I'm not to the boil yet whirlfloc I'll be at 15 minutes left in the boil this is pretty clear that's a nice looking Pilsner you can actually see the lines in my workbench from the different tone colors of the wood

Yea she looks nice and clear hopefully the same in a month or so when you tilt it into your glass! That little o2 Cilinder is a good idea I'll have to look around for one.

Good ph range for a Pilsner there Crunk from what I've garnered about mash ph this 5.2 ph range is the sweet spot for improving mash efficiency and also supposedly reducing haze in your brew. I hear for stouts and porters a ph of. Around 5.6 is better on reducing astringency thanks to the other brilliant Brewers on this forum ;).

Lowe's or home depot, 10 dollars
Heck cheapest I can get it in Aus is off eBay for 40$ and I'm not even sure how I'd extract gas out into fermentor as I'm not sure on the fitting. Mmm I'll be shake rocking and rolling for the time being.

4th pH 5.34
Some good reasons to keep mash PH in the sweet spot between 5.2-5.6 range thought you might like this info I was reading from www.Braukaiser.com on how mash ph effects mash enjoy.
  • The enzymatic activity in the mash is increased as all important enzymes get activated. (except for alpha amylase which starts to suffer at a pH below 5.6)
  • More zinc, an essential yeast nutrient, goes into solution
  • The extract yield (efficiency) is improved
  • The protein coagulation and precipitation is improved (improved break formation)
  • The redox potential is improved which results in a lower susceptibility to oxygen.
  • The run-off speed is improved
  • The color increase during the wort boil is reduced
  • Better trub precipitation and faster pH drop lead to faster fermentation and greater attenuation of the beer.
  • Lover viscosity improves filterability
  • The taste of the beer is more rounded, fuller and softer. The beer is crisper, more fresh and shows more character.
  • The hop bitterness is more pleasant and doesn't linger
  • The foam is more stable and denser
  • The color of the beer is lighter
  • Mash oxidation is reduced since the main culprit, the lipoxigenase enzyme, doesn't work well at low mash pH conditions
  • Haze stability is improved
  • Beer digestion is stimulated. This is a positive effect of the lactic acid
  • Susceptibility to microbial spoilage is reduced through
    • Lower beer pH: beer spoilage organism don't grow below a pH of 4.4

I was in the middle of the range so I chose not to add any acid to lower the pH the beer is darker than I remember as this was my grandfather's recipe I'll be going to check it's progress after my morning coffee as I over engulfed slightly after brew day was complete, so I slept in this morning.

Unless I'm doing something wrong this is even better than my first brew session

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170122-095250.png
    Screenshot_20170122-095250.png
    780.5 KB · Views: 153
I think my water amounts are off. 4.25 gallons in the fermentor

I couldn't hit my hot break yesterday at all, wort was very clear but much darker than my sample for wort pH. Its in the chamber fermenting we will see what happens

It will take a few brews to get your processes dialled in
5 gal boil and 5 gal batch doesn't add up once you factor in boil off , trub losses and any dead space .
I'm focusing on the quality and consistency of my beer and not just chasing numbers

Started with 7 gallons ended with 4.5 in the fermentor og was 1.060 mash pH 5.34

Back