Preparations complete

CRUNK

Trial Member
Reaction score
Saturday I am brewing a Munich helles tonight I sanitize my entire system I got all of my distilled water prepared tested I'm ready to add my salts and to go along with everything tomorrow night I'm making jambalaya and making my starter yeast

Anybody that lives close enough that would like to join me you are more than welcome I live in Pennsylvania

6 lb German pilsner malt
3 lb German light Munich malt
.5 lb English mild malt
.25 lb Belgian aromatic malt
2 Oz hersbrucker at 60 minutes
Whiteland southern german lager yeast 838

7 gallons distilled water
Add 4 grams calcium chloride

Mash in at 97 degrees for 20 minutes
Ramp to 133 for 15minutes
Ramp to 154 for 1 hour
Ramp to 167 form 10 minutes to mash out

Chill to 68 degrees, move to fermentor, pitch yeast, ferment at 42 degrees, ramp to 66 degrees for diacetal when fermentation is close to finished, cold crash to 34 for a couple days, bottle/keg let it lager for 8 weeks.

I thought you used an all munich grain bill with these Munich helles brews I haven't brew one though

Well who am I to question this recipe looking forward to hearing more about it.

As it was told to me by my grandfather this is light beer, you will like this, his exact words I'm going by what he said

Going full traditional with a triple decoction mash ?
I do a single or double step with modern malts , these old recipes don't always work with exact figures .
It was an art form the locals took pride in
Take Kolsch and Altbier , 25 km apart and they still argue about them

I have a two vessel system similar to The Brew easy so I'm not going to do decoction but I am going to do a step Mash

I like that bilchmann tower of power controller good for if your not so savy with electronics and don't want to wire up your own panel. What do they charge you for that there unit crunk?

That recipe sounds tasty...I'm interested to hear how it goes. I do water additions to infuse and mash out as I don't have a heatable mash tun. I am intrigued though. Have a good brew day Crunk.

Thank you sir, I'll let you all know how the brew day goes, and how the beer turns out.

1st mash pH 5.34
2nd mash pH 5.22 30 minutes later
3rd mash pH 5.35

The second reading must have been off a little bit I'm not quite sure I'll take another one in another 30 minutes

What I should do is get together with somebody that's been brewing for a while and invite them over to watch and help me out Brewing one day to make sure I'm doing everything correctly

What I should do is get together with somebody that's been brewing for a while and invite them over to watch and help me out Brewing one day to make sure I'm doing everything correctly
Always nice to get input, pointers, and tips. There are several correct ways to brew.

Back