OG way too low. :(

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Brewer #230611, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Zambezi Special

Zambezi Special Well-Known Member

I had something similar happening to my brew. I have just let it be. It's about ready to bottle and will be lower in alcohol than I aimed for.

Just another thing to look at for your next brews (as this is what I believe went wrong in my case)
    - evaporation: I estimated too high
    - water contained by the malted grains: I estimated this too high as well (as I use BIAB)
    So, I ended up with too much liquid for the amount of grains... Hence I lower OG

Good luck and interesting to see that us newbies are running into similar problems ;)

Trialben likes this.
  2. Brewer #222202

Brewer #222202 New Member

Semi retired
    Well, something nobody has mentioned is the crushing of your grain. Did you crush it yourself, or buy it pre-crushed? Most pre-crushed grain is a wee bit too coarse, to avoid stuck sparges. Coarser crush on the grain will give you lower OG, and is probably the #1 newbie mistake. A finer crush will make the starches more accessible to the enzymes, and results in a higher end of mash OG.
    Don't grind it into flour, or you will discover the hell of a stuck sparge.

3. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Data bass? Is that anything like the Salmon of Truth? :D
    JA nailed it, though. Do something proven, learn your process before starting to formulate recipes.

J A likes this.
  4. J A

J A Well-Known Member

Too many years of playing stand-up...:D :D Musicians and fisherman always default to that spelling. ;)