Not what I wanted

Discussion in 'Recipes for Feedback' started by Radcp, Feb 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Radcp

Radcp Member

BI Developer
    This was one of my first attempts at a semi citrus/floral pale ale that came out less than desirable. My LHBS helped me with the steeping and hops schedule but the final product is more of a hops slap in the face and isn't balanced.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/611007/oops-pale-ale

Did I misuse the citra in the schedule? or does the BRY change things up? I am usually use the 05 or 04.

2. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    how long since you packaged it? i find that the hops will diminish or mellow some as the weeks pass.

3. Radcp

Radcp Member

BI Developer
    It's been in the bottles for 4 weeks now. Not much change that I can detect.

4. J A

J A Well-Known Member

Only thing that I can see is that you didn't need the can sugar and IMO, Citra is very harsh in any bittering capacity so the 30 minute could be giving you some extra "hang" on the bitterness that's not offset by any maltiness.
    If you were to try it again, you might try keeping the Citra between 15 and 0 and maybe try some Simcoe at 20 minutes or so for some depth of flavor without any harsh bitterness. I do a Centennial/Simcoe session Pale that I late hop with either Citra or Mosaic and it's extremely balanced. I'd definitely loose the sugar as that can leave a dry, cidery quality and maybe throw in some Honey Malt or CaraVienne in the steep for a little sweet maltiness.

Radcp likes this.
  5. Radcp

Radcp Member

BI Developer
    Centennial/Simcoe/Mosaic sounds like a good mix (one of my favorites from a local brewery NE IPA Simcoe/Mosaic/Galaxy)- is this a hop sched you would share?

J A likes this.
  6. Mase

Mase Well-Known Member

Respectfully disagree. We’ve brewed a Marris Otter/Citra SMaSH beer a couple times and no “harsh bitterness” at all. Dose at 60min, 30min, 20min and 10min @ 1 oz each. Then dry hop with 2 additional oz.

J A likes this.
  7. J A

J A Well-Known Member

I'd concur on an all-grain beer with malt backbone. Since the Carapils won't add any sweetness or malt flavor, there just might less flavor for to balance the finish. Most people seem to love Citra and I like it just fine but in beers where it's very prevalent in the bittering, I just personally find it to be harsh.

8. J A

J A Well-Known Member

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/510201/party-timer-session-pale
    I've made several slight variations of this recipe. This is the lightest version of that beer I've made. Extremely good batch and the hop profile was pretty supurb - about the best that I've gotten from that combo.

Radcp likes this.
  9. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

As with most session beers, I would definitely leave out the simple sugar, mash higher for added body and use a less attenuative yeast. These things would have added enough body to more than support the hops.

J A likes this.