Not what I wanted

Radcp

Trial Member
Reaction score
This was one of my first attempts at a semi citrus/floral pale ale that came out less than desirable. My LHBS helped me with the steeping and hops schedule but the final product is more of a hops slap in the face and isn't balanced.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/611007/oops-pale-ale

Did I misuse the citra in the schedule? or does the BRY change things up? I am usually use the 05 or 04.

This was one of my first attempts at a semi citrus/floral pale ale that came out less than desirable. My LHBS helped me with the steeping and hops schedule but the final product is more of a hops slap in the face and isn't balanced.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/611007/oops-pale-ale

Did I misuse the citra in the schedule? or does the BRY change things up? I am usually use the 05 or 04.
how long since you packaged it? i find that the hops will diminish or mellow some as the weeks pass.

Only thing that I can see is that you didn't need the can sugar and IMO, Citra is very harsh in any bittering capacity so the 30 minute could be giving you some extra "hang" on the bitterness that's not offset by any maltiness.
If you were to try it again, you might try keeping the Citra between 15 and 0 and maybe try some Simcoe at 20 minutes or so for some depth of flavor without any harsh bitterness. I do a Centennial/Simcoe session Pale that I late hop with either Citra or Mosaic and it's extremely balanced. I'd definitely loose the sugar as that can leave a dry, cidery quality and maybe throw in some Honey Malt or CaraVienne in the steep for a little sweet maltiness.

Only thing that I can see is that you didn't need the can sugar and IMO, Citra is very harsh in any bittering capacity so the 30 minute could be giving you some extra "hang" on the bitterness that's not offset by any maltiness.
If you were to try it again, you might try keeping the Citra between 15 and 0 and maybe try some Simcoe at 20 minutes or so for some depth of flavor without any harsh bitterness. I do a Centennial/Simcoe session Pale that I late hop with either Citra or Mosaic and it's extremely balanced. I'd definitely loose the sugar as that can leave a dry, cidery quality and maybe throw in some Honey Malt or CaraVienne in the steep for a little sweet maltiness.

Centennial/Simcoe/Mosaic sounds like a good mix (one of my favorites from a local brewery NE IPA Simcoe/Mosaic/Galaxy)- is this a hop sched you would share?

Reactions: J A
If you were to try it again, you might try keeping the Citra between 15 and 0 and maybe try some Simcoe at 20 minutes or so for some depth of flavor without any harsh bitterness.
Respectfully disagree. We’ve brewed a Marris Otter/Citra SMaSH beer a couple times and no “harsh bitterness” at all. Dose at 60min, 30min, 20min and 10min @ 1 oz each. Then dry hop with 2 additional oz.

We’ve brewed a Marris Otter/Citra SMaSH beer a couple times and no “harsh bitterness” at all.
I'd concur on an all-grain beer with malt backbone. Since the Carapils won't add any sweetness or malt flavor, there just might less flavor for to balance the finish. Most people seem to love Citra and I like it just fine but in beers where it's very prevalent in the bittering, I just personally find it to be harsh.

As with most session beers, I would definitely leave out the simple sugar, mash higher for added body and use a less attenuative yeast. These things would have added enough body to more than support the hops.

Back