Multi-step mash reduction

I agree Trialben, an interesting curve indeed. At present with my picnic cooler mash tun, I will continue with a strike and sparge "two step" mash until I gradg-idate to one of them fancy set-it and forget-it systems. NO DISRESPECT - I have A LOT to learn before I am there, as I am sure all of you with these types of systems have already attained!
I have, and find myself doing single infusion batch sparge. Modern malts are made to convert quickly and easily. Every step you can remove from a process is one fewer opportunity for error.

So I transferred to the keg recently, took my FG reading, and it was lower than expected 1.002, whereas the recipe builder shows the target FG is 1.015. So I'm guessing this indicates a wild yeast infection, or mash temps that were too low: (142F, 61C) for both the strike and sparge. The sparge temp was a mistake on my part and it should have been 158F (70C). I have read that low mash temperature prevents the creation of unfermentable sugars that would give the beer more body and results in an overabundance of fermentable sugars that the yeast happily consume.

That coupled with the use of TWO packets of yeast: Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04 and Mangrove Jack - Belgian Abbey M47 made for a very low FG.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

It's difficult to say what's happened, without tasting it. It could be possible that it's contaminated, but if it still tastes good, then who really cares. If it tastes funny, that could be very telling. Or.... I suppose it's possible it's a combination of your low mash temperature and the M47 which is a relatively high attenuator, but typically would not go all the way down to 1.002, that seems very unusual. But yeast is a living thing and results can vary, so... who knows.

Hope you can enjoy it and it doesn't taste "off".

EDIT: Well, on second thought... looking at your recipe, I see it contained 3 pounds of sugar. THAT will absolutely reduce your FG, since it is a simple sugar that is 100% fermentable. I think maybe that's it, in combination with the latter two factors, the yeast and the low mash temp. Yeah I think that's very plausible. So, probably NOT contaminated, but again, your taste buds would tell you that. The recipe actually seems really cockeyed -- with 3 lbs sugar, I would NOT anticipate either the OG 1.050 or FG 1.008. Recipe does not add up with what is realistically possible. Fortunately, whatever you end up with, if not contaminated, it should be tasty!

Last edited:
So I transferred to the keg recently, took my FG reading, and it was lower than expected 1.002, whereas the recipe builder shows the target FG is 1.015. So I'm guessing this indicates a wild yeast infection, or mash temps that were too low: (142F, 61C) for both the strike and sparge. The sparge temp was a mistake on my part and it should have been 158F (70C). I have read that low mash temperature prevents the creation of unfermentable sugars that would give the beer more body and results in an overabundance of fermentable sugars that the yeast happily consume.

That coupled with the use of TWO packets of yeast: Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04 and Mangrove Jack - Belgian Abbey M47 made for a very low FG.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

I went through and re-read it, but didnt see what your OG was. if it was 10 pts lower to begin with that would explain it too, coupled with an abudance of yeast, it dried out more. doesnt mean there was anything bad going on, it just fermented more complettely.

Thanks dmtaylor and Minbari - sorry for the confusion, but I ended up NOT adding the extra cane sugar. The link to the original brewer's recipe was meant to show the mash schedule which started this thread. I have attached my actual recipe.

Sorry, I mis-typed in my post above, the FG was 1.004 not 1.002. The OG was 1.061

I'll admit, I didn't really understand the original recipe with 13 lbs of Pilsner and 3 lbs of cane sugar with an OG of 1.050 - looks like a mistake.

I just tasted it. It is not fully carbed yet, but it is cold, it is dry, spicy, and has some bitterness with a touch of sourness but not unpleasant. I think all is good!

Cheers!

Attachments

• AB Tremens clone - Beer Recipe.pdf
    106.3 KB · Views: 53

Back