Lagunitas sucks extract recipe

Ozarks Mountian Brew said:
I usually go by a cup per liter myself but ran out

Paniced after no activity over 4 hours so I repitched 2 more vials into a fresh boiled and cooled 2 cups dme to 2L starter.. maybe a waste but tomorrow is my only brew day I gots for a while so I need this starter... hope the starter kicks up by tomorrow morn

mine has 3 inches of foam just after 5 hours but since I was short on dme I added some Turbinado to the dme while it was boiling, must be that, but then again I grow my own yeast so I know its fresh lol

mine has 3 inches of foam just after 5 hours but since I was short on dme I added some Turbinado to the dme while it was boiling, must be that, but then again I grow my own yeast so I know its fresh lol
Mine looked like it foamed over night but today it looks like cottage cheese floating around if I turn off the stirplate it sinks fast this normal? Steeping grains now

just means its fermenting instead of multiplying, keep shaking it and keep it cool

just means its fermenting instead of multiplying, keep shaking it and keep it cool
Got the sirplate going 900mph and its around 68 deg

not sure what your fermenting in but might want to decant as much dme as you can before adding it the fermenter, sounds like you have a healthy starter going

not sure what your fermenting in but might want to decant as much dme as you can before adding it the fermenter, sounds like you have a healthy starter going
6 gal carboy

Well its in the carboy keeping it at 68 deg. Waiting for that airlock to go.... man that wort was sweet and bitter lol

got 2 in the fermenter at 62, my home grown Nottingham Ale yeast seem to love the cooler temps, fermentation starts withing hours and last for 7 days

got 2 in the fermenter at 62, my home grown Nottingham Ale yeast seem to love the cooler temps, fermentation starts withing hours and last for 7 days

It was a little dead for a few hours after pitching so I twisted the carboy back and forth for a minute then foam started to build (2") or so and the airlock started bubling slowly... hoping it picks up or this will be my first fail. Any ideas or does it sound fine?

just be patient, it will take off, that yeast tasks a day some times

just be patient, it will take off, that yeast tasks a day some times
Thanks! you have been extremely helpful and its much appreciated. Ill keep you posted

Airlock is popping away like crazy. Not as much krausen as my saison extract I brewed (resulting in a rigged 3peice to blow off tube hybrid) but more foam than before and very active airlock. 7-10 day im guessing before checkung SG.

Edit:yup evern 5.25 gal in a 6 gal carboy... blowoff tube...foam everywhere lol

when I made that beer I made 6 gallons in a 7 gallon bucket, had a 1/4 inch beer line as a blow off tube, it heaved and blasted co2 out for 3 days lol I've since went to 1/2"

when I made that beer I made 6 gallons in a 7 gallon bucket, had a 1/4 inch beer line as a blow off tube, it heaved and blasted co2 out for 3 days lol I've since went to 1/2"

Its going to be my first kegged beer as well. Just picked up a keggerator

This beer will need more time after dry hoping to settle out all the hop debris and solids so I'll help if needed

This beer will need more time after dry hoping to settle out all the hop debris and solids so I'll help if needed
I was going to throw the first batch of hop pellets right In the fermenter for 4 days (after I arrive neer FG) then syphon to a 5 gal secondary for 4 days if then dry hop then syphon to the bottle bucket then to the keg where I will pressurize at 10-11 psi for 2 weeks (not sure to cool right away while force carbing or keep at 68-70. No priming sugar

"no priming sugar for kegging" this is where sanitation and oxygen need to be carefully watched, I wouldn't siphon out after the first or second hop just go strait from the original carboy to the keg, fill pressurize, bleed out oxygen, keep it cold , then let it carb slow for about a week, the first couple of draws will be the sediment, thats normal and keep in mind this beer will not clear up unless you age or add gelatin and I wouldn't my first time, good luck

"no priming sugar for kegging" this is where sanitation and oxygen need to be carefully watched, I wouldn't siphon out after the first or second hop just go strait from the original carboy to the keg, fill pressurize, bleed out oxygen, keep it cold , then let it carb slow for about a week, the first couple of draws will be the sediment, thats normal and keep in mind this beer will not clear up unless you age or add gelatin and I wouldn't my first time, good luck

So use hop bags after FG in same carboy 4 then remove then the other for 4 days and remove then age in primary? Or age and when im 8 days away from kegging do the 4 days hop then 4 days hop? or.. use hop bags 4 days than 4 days again after FG then right into the keg pressurize and age at cellar temps before fridging. I was thinking moving to secondary would help clear it up a bit but I know there are varying veiws on using secondaries ive used them before on some extract kits. Airlick is still bubbling away ..slowed a bit but bubbling (switched from blowoff after a few days for space reasons)

Back