Lagunitas sucks extract recipe

Danzigs Misfits

Trial Member
Reaction score
Found an extract recipe on here for lagunitas sucks and compared it to the all grain. The only real difference is the boil times. Why does the all grain recipe have a 90 min boil and extrqct only 60?

extract is mostly purer from the start most trub has already been removed, no need for extra boiling unless your gravity needs it

If the all-grain recipe asks for a 90 minute boil and uses mostly Pilsner, Munich or Vienna base malt, give it the 90 minute boil. These base malts are high in a precursor to acetaldehyde, a chemical that gives Budweiser its distinctive "green apple" flavor. The 90 minute boil is to drive most of this off - all beers have some level of acetaldehyde, which is generally considered a flaw if it rises above the taste threshold. Extract has already been boiled, the kilning pale malt goes through rids it of a good bit of acetaldehyde so the shorter boil works for these.

Ozarks Mountian Brew said:
extract is mostly purer from the start most trub has already been removed, no need for extra boiling unless your gravity needs it

Read this durring my investigation as well. So 60 minute extract boil it is. I think its your recipe ...

yes and note, its not in the recipe for some reason but your suppose to dry hop the first 2 apollo and columbus for 4 days then the second 2 simcoe and hbc for 4 more days and your going to need 3 yeast or 2 with a healthy starter

yes and note, its not in the recipe for some reason but your suppose to dry hop the first 2 apollo and columbus for 4 days then the second 2 simcoe and hbc for 4 more days and your going to need 3 yeast or 2 with a healthy starter

Should I leave the columbus and apollo in or pull them then add simcoe and hbc? By 2 do you mean 2 vials and or a 2L starter? I have a 1 gal jug, a 2L flask as well as a stir plate. Whats the best way to start my starter? I was thinking 1 vail and a little over 2L starter on stirplate...

2 viles in a a 2l starter , the gravity is big and the yeast will probably cause an off flavor if not big enough to handle this thick wort, take out the first 2 dry hops then add the second, I added notes to the recipe.

this is not a cheap beer, good luck

2 viles in a a 2l starter , the gravity is big and the yeast will probably cause an off flavor if not big enough to handle this thick wort, take out the first 2 dry hops then add the second, I added notes to the recipe.

this is not a cheap beer, good luck

Thanks! 2 vials and 2 liter. I have everything except the second vial and the turbinado which should actually arrive today. Ill start starter friday and brew saturday morning. Also should I steep the specialty grains in the full 6+ gallons? I have a 10 gal spikes kettle 2 bungs (ball valve and therm)

I use a 10 gallon or 20 and do full water from the start, 8 gallons in my case because I lose a lot from evaporation. I grind my extract finer than all grain, and the way I do it is to clamp the bag to the side while heating up from room temp to 154, let that set at 154 for 15 to 20 minutes depending how long it takes, then raise to 168 for 10 minutes, dunk and drain your bag then pull it out and add the sugar/ Malt, before the boil. watch your boil over on this one the foam will be huge because of the high gravity.

I use a 10 gallon or 20 and do full water from the start, 8 gallons in my case because I lose a lot from evaporation. I grind my extract finer than all grain, and the way I do it is to clamp the bag to the side while heating up from room temp to 154, let that set at 154 for 15 to 20 minutes depending how long it takes, then raise to 168 for 10 minutes, dunk and drain your bag then pull it out and add the sugar/ Malt, before the boil. watch your boil over on this one the foam will be huge because of the high gravity.

Thank you for the help and its been big help. I will prob use 7.25 gal my last full boil I used too much water so 7.25 sound good. So no late addition with the dry malt just put it all in before reaches boil then huh... good info

correct, I do not use late addition extract, the reason why on the malt is you need 1 good hot break, adding it late will make another, and raising and lowering temperature to get ride of the hot break several times can lead to a under boiled extract so to speak, I sometimes use late sugar but not torbinado, it needs time to dissolve

correct, I do not use late addition extract, the reason why on the malt is you need 1 good hot break, adding it late will make another, and raising and lowering temperature to get ride of the hot break several times can lead to a under boiled extract so to speak, I sometimes use late sugar but not torbinado, it needs time to dissolve

Thanks again I'll let you know how it turns out

Anothe quick but maybe dumb question. The 1st hop additios says 45 min. Is that boil for 45 so add 15 min to boil or add at 45 min? Never used brewers friend before

you boil for an 60 minutes counting down from the start of the boil you add your first hops at 45 minutes meaning 15 minutes after you start boiling, all times for hops are counting down from the 60

so start your timer at 60 when the clock reaches say 15 and you have a hop thats put in at 15 you do it then

you boil for an 60 minutes counting down from the start of the boil you add your first hops at 45 minutes meaning 15 minutes after you start boiling, all times for hops are counting down from the 60

so start your timer at 60 when the clock reaches say 15 and you have a hop thats put in at 15 you do it then
You're awesome sir. I figured as much.. thank you

so another question that needs answered is the whirlpool, when the clock reaches 0 add the hops chinook and simcoe then stir the wort into a whirl pool for about 15 minutes or until your arm gets tired then start your cooling process

Don't worry about a late addition of malt extract. It has already gone through a hot break during processing, boiling it will not cause more protein to precipitate out. So add late if you want. I do when I'm doing big beers with an extra "push" from extract, have never had problems from it.

I agree with the proteins but thats not the issue in my experience, in my small pot meaning 10 gallon pot and he has one, the issue is foaming and boil over, you want to get a good steady uninterrupted boil for 60 minutes to utilize all the hops in this beer, it will foam up with any late addition and you need to turn the heat down, in this beer we need the steady boil for the hops to get all the flavor it can

I agree with the proteins but thats not the issue in my experience, in my small pot meaning 10 gallon pot and he has one, the issue is foaming and boil over, you want to get a good steady uninterrupted boil for 60 minutes to utilize all the hops in this beer, it will foam up with any late addition and you need to turn the heat down, in this beer we need the steady boil for the hops to get all the flavor it can

This morning I boiled 4 cups of water with 1 cup light DME, cooled and topped off to 2L and pitched both vials of yeast before starting the stir plate. Still nothing... was this enough DME? Ive reas on 2 seperate thing use 1 cup for 2L and use 2 cuos for 2L anything I can add to get it going or wait?

probably wouldn't hurt to have more dme but just shake it up or swirl it to give it some air then if its a stir plate set it to get a vortex , should be fine I just did the same thing today

Back