Keg questions from a kegging noob

I run every single beer at 16psi/3.5C/10' of beer line. Cause I don't have the equipment to allow variance. Plus I like how the beers come out.

Last 2 nights poured a pint. Carbonation wasn’t there yet. That was after 4 and 5 days. I didn’t burst carb since my regulator recommended not exceeding 15 psi. I left it at 5-6 psi for the first 4 days and upped it to 12 last night. I’ll try again in a few. I love the taste. Obviously I cannot recreate Boddingtons but It is definitely ball park thanks to @Steve SPF on the recipe help. Here is the first pour
View attachment 13321

Yay! Looks good :)

Today I used my second keg. Same keg as the other one. I ordered a different regulator so I could use the small cheap co2 cartridges. It will not fit? Are posts different? Faulty regulator? Since I am unprepared I have 1 keg with no co2 and one with and will have to move it to the Current keg I’m drinking out of

Gas posts on kegs are, in theory, all the same from the outside. Liquid posts are too but different (subtly) from gas posts. Inside they can be different, but that's irrelevant at the moment.

When you remove the connector (ball lock or pin lock) both the keg and the connector (are supposed to) seal, so nothing gets lost on either side. So you should be able to remove your CO2 thingie that uses the bigger cartridges (the one you got last month) and move it, with no loss of CO2, to the new keg. (and the new regulator should fit the old keg).

Try that.

If it fits and is OK, the new item has the problem.
If it does not fit, the new keg has the problem. (Make sure you're trying to fit it on the correct port!)
If you lose CO2 when disconnecting, my sincere apology. The keg really must seal, but the regulator, I have little experience.

I use this kind of connector

Gas post has two slash type lines on the 'nut' portion. Liquid post has one. I don't know if that helps at all.

I was definitely on the one marked “in” Maybe I’m not pushing hard enough?

You could disconnect from the keg that you are already serving from, and get the new beer under pressure. You can just flip it back to bring the pressure back up after a pour.

That’s what I Was thinking. I did get the new regulator on and some gas on the “drinking” keg. Shouldn’t need as much as to push out a keg of beer?

Not sure I understand your question. If you are talking about pressure, I usually set the pressure at 30PSI for about 24-30 hours, then turn down to serving pressure, another 1-2 days and it should be mostly carbed up.

Not sure I understand your question. If you are talking about pressure, I usually set the pressure at 30PSI for about 24-30 hours, then turn down to serving pressure, another 1-2 days and it should be mostly carbed up.
Im good now. The regulator wouldn’t fit or I thought so anyway. I wasn’t pushing it hard enough. I’ll use the regulator with the big cartridge to carb one keg and the small cartridge to serve on the other.

I find some pretty loose tolerances on the plastic disconnects. I've had brand new ones that are leaky if you look at them wrong and others that are tighter than a popcorn fart. Some lube does help.

Yeah that did it, I was being too gentle. The last few posts will be a nice scar for all future questions to be judged by :(
My wife's only just got comfortable with the force needed. That's 2-3 years after buying the system. She only brews a few batches a year, so just forgets how much force is needed each time she puts on a new keg.

My wife's only just got comfortable with the force needed. That's 2-3 years after buying the system. She only brews a few batches a year, so just forgets how much force is needed each time she puts on a new keg.
Still think I have some issues with the small regulator. I ordered a few extra quick connects so we’ll see. It didn’t push beer out earlier so I had to use the one I was using.

Pull the collar up on the disconnect and it'll slide on easy as pie.

Pulling the collar up let a the ball bearings move aside to allow the connection to be made.

Pull the collar up on the disconnect and it'll slide on easy as pie.

Pulling the collar up let a the ball bearings move aside to allow the connection to be made.
I think the one I have is just faulty. Ordered a few so I’ll see. Lube helped

I’ll use the regulator with the big cartridge to carb one keg and the small cartridge to serve on the other.
Yep. Carbonating uses more CO2 than serving. One of those little cartridges should be plenty to serve a whole (small) keg.

Then there is a leak in either the disconnect or regulator. Spent one entire 16g cartridge without serving a pint. I’ll just switch the other regulator back and forth as needed until I get new parts. Be glad for summer when I get a fridge, tank, etc and set up something better.

Back