Keg questions from a kegging noob

Using the carb calculator in the recipe builder I get this. Fridge temp at 36, I’ll actually check to see what my fridge temp is I was just guess here. This is trying to keep the carbonation to style. Seems a little low or off compared to everything I’ve ever seen on here about carbonation levels to force carb or serve. I don’t care if I carb it overnight just figured I’d set it and wait a few days and start drinking it since the co2 level is pretty low for the style anyway
2416F9D4-7F05-4E1A-811A-9F842477A026.jpeg

That's pretty low, I wouldn't go below 1 PSI (and, trust me, your gauge is neither that accurate nor precise). You might consider 5 PSI for 2 volumes instead of 1.5, not a huge increase in fizz and still in range for some styles.

Data points: My pale ales at 36 F sit at 16 PSI and are the amount of fizz I prefer (3 vol). My Hefeweitzen needs 25 PSI at 36 F, as it is a more fizzy style (4 vol).

I’ll do that. Oddly the default set it for 1.3 co2 level which set the psi at a negative in the recipe builder.....

I thought that was ridiculously low as well, as I tend to keep my regulator set about 9-11 psi. But then I realized that is shooting for 2.2-2.4 vols for a 5 gal keg at 40 F. So 1.5 gal batch at 36 F would certainly be much less. Based on the calculator, 1 psi for a 1.5 gal batch at 36 F would yield 1.6 vols. Seems like a good compromise.

The quantity of beer is (mostly) irrelevant. Volume doesn't change the calculation.

Huge volumes of beer take longer to carbonate, so brewers use carbstones to speed that up. But 1, 5 or 20 gallons will get x.x volumes at X psi every time.

Yeah I have 15-16PSI at 3C with 10' of hose and my beers pour nicely. I don't have enough control to vary the pressure so every beer gets that setting.

How soon to “test the carbonation”? :D I’ll probably wait till Saturday.

It can be as soon as 8 hours; I usually wait overnight.

My process is to pressurize to 35 or 40 pounds, rock the keg for five minutes, and then let it sit at that pressure overnight. Next morning I bring it down to correct carbonation pressure and let it sit until early evening when it's time to drink.

Just setting it to carbonation pressure and waiting can take a couple of days.

I did the set and forget method so I’ll check this weekend. Set it at 5 psi

Did you leave the gas turned on? As it gets absorbed into the liquid the pressure drops, so it needs to be replenished.
But, you are looking for a low carbonation anyway, so it might not be a problem. And waiting a little isn't going to hurt anyone.

Did you leave the gas turned on? As it gets absorbed into the liquid the pressure drops, so it needs to be replenished.
But, you are looking for a low carbonation anyway, so it might not be a problem. And waiting a little isn't going to hurt anyone.
Yeah I left it on and adjusted the first 2 days when it dropped to about 3-4 psi. Didn’t drop any yesterday or this morning. By this afternoon it will be 96 hours On 5-6 psi in my kitchen fridge that is set pretty cold

Last 2 nights poured a pint. Carbonation wasn’t there yet. That was after 4 and 5 days. I didn’t burst carb since my regulator recommended not exceeding 15 psi. I left it at 5-6 psi for the first 4 days and upped it to 12 last night. I’ll try again in a few. I love the taste. Obviously I cannot recreate Boddingtons but It is definitely ball park thanks to @Steve SPF on the recipe help. Here is the first pour
0D681B94-133A-4E10-921C-01066A222C44.jpeg

Looks spot on color wise!
Whatever pressure you plan to serve at, you can set it to that in the beginning and keep it there until it's ready.

Josh, I think you'll be happier at about 2.5 volumes (12 PSI at 40 F).

Despite the carbonation chart, I have found that I like my beers universally fizzier than what the chart says should be right. Since it can't be that the chart is wrong, it must be a personal preference.

I wish I could measure the carbonation of a commercial beer. That would give me data to work with.

Josh, I think you'll be happier at about 2.5 volumes (12 PSI at 40 F).

Despite the carbonation chart, I have found that I like my beers universally fizzier than what the chart says should be right. Since it can't be that the chart is wrong, it must be a personal preference.

I wish I could measure the carbonation of a commercial beer. That would give me data to work with.
Yeah I think I’m going to have to stay in the 10-12 range and ignore the style.

Back