Keg questions from a kegging noob

A conversation I had with a co-worker about life of beer in a keg.

Co-worker: How long does beer last in the keg?
Me: About 3 weeks.
Co-worker: What happens then? Does it go bad?
Me: No. It goes empty.
Sorta like my magical abilities when it come to making beer disappear:D:D!

Wish they’d ship the darn thing. I have a bitter that is ready to be bottled haha. The Shady Bohemian will be ready to package next weekend but I want to save it till the zoom meeting when others have it ready to drink. Plus I don’t want to wait that long to drink out of the keg ;)

@Nosybear You are not alone in that. I do what I can though; that's why I invite others to come finish it for me. The brewing process (that's the engineer in me) and the social interaction are what drives me, not necessarily the alcohol.

@Nosybear You are not alone in that. I do what I can though; that's why I invite others to come finish it for me. The brewing process (that's the engineer in me) and the social interaction are what drives me, not necessarily the alcohol.
25 years ago, it took me about three weeks to empty a 5 gallon keg. Today it still takes three weeks, but the keg is now 2.5 gallons. We tend to slow down a bit as we age.

25 years ago, it took me about three weeks to empty a 5 gallon keg. Today it still takes three weeks, but the keg is now 2.5 gallons. We tend to slow down a bit as we age.
Agreed.

I brew the same volume and I’m on the same keg-draining schedule. Pretty much a weekend warrior when it comes to drinking. That’s why I brew about every 3 weeks. :)

When you get it check the length of the gas tube, my cornies varied greatly and I end up cutting most them the very short to fit more beer in the tank.

When you get it check the length of the gas tube, my cornies varied greatly and I end up cutting most them the very short to fit more beer in the tank.
Same. I want every last bit I can get in there lol.

I was nervous on the first one thinking there was a reason it was that long. But now they all get cut real short.

The length of the gas tube doesn't matter, the length of the beer line does. About 1 foot for each PSI of dispensing pressure is a good starting point. Too short and the beer foams badly.

I was nervous on the first one thinking there was a reason it was that long. But now they all get cut real short.
If you put a post seal under the screw on post, you can eliminate the short gas tube entirely. This will seal the post by pressing the o ring between the bottom of the post and the keg itself. The post seals fit really nice and work perfectly.

The length of the gas tube doesn't matter, the length of the beer line does.
I think he means that the shorter the gas tube, the less headspace when the keg is filled from the posts. Beer flows out a 3" long gas tube when the liquid level is 3" from the top. Cut it to 1/2" and you fit 2.5" more beer in there.

Dispensing tubing is a different subject, also worthy of discussion. Josh's setup (if it ever arrives...)has a tap connected directly to the black "out" post connector, so maybe 3-5 PSI may be enough to dispense it properly.

I think he means that the shorter the gas tube, the less headspace when the keg is filled from the posts. Beer flows out a 3" long gas tube when the liquid level is 3" from the top. Cut it to 1/2" and you fit 2.5" more beer in there.

Dispensing tubing is a different subject, also worthy of discussion. Josh's setup (if it ever arrives...)has a tap connected directly to the black "out" post connector, so maybe 3-5 PSI may be enough to dispense it properly.
If it ever ships Lol

It arrived! Did it come filled with air to make sure there wasn’t a leak?

Back