Keg questions from a kegging noob

I'm a dirty bast@rd lol I don't clean the posts often at all maybe once a year and that's off hops are a concern with that little spring inside behind the poppet.

I rely on the cleaning to do it's job.
Same as the disconnects.

You'll arrive at the level of cleanliness you want to settle on pretty quick.
If I find a beer is starting to be a little dull I'll do a beer line clean that usually brings back that fresh taste unless the beer is crap to start with lol.

Josh I hope it's okay if I revive your thread. It turns out that I have tons of questions!

How often does everyone disassemble and clean your quick disconnects? I assume I could go 5-10 brews without taking them apart, or is more of a every 6 months? Should I take apart the QD's every time I get an oil change in my car? :D lol (I use full synthetic and don't drive often, don't @ me with oil change criticism :p)

Do I NEED a special deep socket for my posts or will a crescent wrench or plumber's wrench do the trick?

If I'm not pushing beer should I turn off the CO2? Does that help conserve the tank just in case a leak is present?

Disconnects - I clean them every time

Posts - clean them every (I have kegs with 3 different size posts, using box end wrenches here)

Beer lines - I have a connector I put together so I can connect them to my laundry tub tap and flush them good with hot water every time, I sanitize them before use by connecting them to a keg with sanitizer in it.

Gas - I leave mine on, as long as you don't have leaks you are good
(pro tip, pressurize and submerge you lines in a bucket of water to make sure you have no leaks)
Most of us don't do this until we need to find the leak that cost us a bottle of gas:cool:

I clean mine when I think of it. The posts don't all have the same size so like Craig says you'll need a few different wrenches.

I clean mine when I think of it. The posts don't all have the same size so like Craig says you'll need a few different wrenches.
Amazon has a kit with all 3 sizes including the 12 sided one. For $40

Oh that's handy. I already had the relevant tools in my pile of stuff so it wasn't a concern.

Back