IPA hop question

Bigbre04

Well-Known Member
Premium Plus Member
Established Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2019
Messages
2,242
Reaction score
2,043
Points
113
Location
Tybee Island, Ga
So I have a modern west coast ipa on right now(7.2% 55ibu and crystal clear)Magnum, strata, mosaic, Idaho 7. I need to make a new batch of it. I wanted to repeat the same beer, but I dont have enough idaho 7 on hand.

Keeping the grain bill, and ibus basically the same i was thinking of substitutes for the Idaho7.
I have:
Citra
Sabro
Chinook
Dolcita
Krush
Amarillo
Nugget

I am currently between Sabro and chinook, but i think krush or dolcita could slip in if i adjust the ratios a bit.

here is the recipe with the ID7 Replaced with Sabro.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1657030

Recipe that is on draft
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1645155
 
You cant go wrong with Citra and a little Chinook
 
You cant go wrong with Citra and a little Chinook
Agreed. My only hesitation is that my year round session IPA is citra mosaic sabro. trying to keep some variety?

what are your thoughts on using krush instead?

@Dave Y that sub page is interesting but it doesnt have either krush or dolcita

i was worried that sabro would clash with the dankness of the strata.
 
The Chinook sticks out to me, love what Chinook brings to a beer, resin, pine, grapefruit. That would be choice to use in place of the Idaho 7
 
Kush may be a little dank
 
dolcita tastes like straight up peaches to me. its actually really good. I did a single hopped kolsch and it was really nice. I could see it being really good in a hazy fruit forward IPA.
 
Agreed. My only hesitation is that my year round session IPA is citra mosaic sabro. trying to keep some variety?

what are your thoughts on using krush instead?

@Dave Y that sub page is interesting but it doesnt have either krush or dolcita

i was worried that sabro would clash with the dankness of the strata.
Crush and Amarillo would give you the variety your looking for.
 

Back
Top