I visited a brewery today!

5304C8CF-D982-4E9A-A614-347EE4EDEB99.jpeg
A6FECC68-3CA4-42B2-9F52-672144CA6023.jpeg

Stopped back by Veterans United Brewery for a pint and a sixer to-go

Grizzly Paw Brewing in Canmore, Alberta and then the next day coincidentally received a visit from its namesake near our trailhead. Luckily, he was more interested in berries than humans….today.

Attachments

• D2CDB407-8A0F-4F72-A457-1E1CB2D93675.jpeg
    D2CDB407-8A0F-4F72-A457-1E1CB2D93675.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 50
  • CD17A70D-F231-4ED8-83F1-61261CA30796.jpeg
    CD17A70D-F231-4ED8-83F1-61261CA30796.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 48
Charlotteville Brewing, they make a couple real nice English Ales, a 4.7% Mild, and 5.2% Pale. Barb had their "Italian style Pilsner", it was really nice at 6%. CEO, and Brewmaster is Female. They have their brewery and bar room in Century Barns, real nice spot, real good beer. We had a pollinator visit us at lunch. Later back at camp I got a ripper of a fire going:)
20220902_141319.jpg
20220821_132509.jpg
20220902_141956.jpg
20220902_172639.jpg

Went to Portsmouth Brewing Company down the road and across the bridge in Ohio (20 minute drive). The pizza and homemade chips are always awesome along with wings. The beer not as much. Had their Summer IPA and Dortmunder. The IPA was late hopped and not super bitter but was not “juicy.” Nothing exciting about it. Kind of like a boring attempt at a Sierra Nevada Pale. The dortmunder was under-attenuated and/or had some crystal malt added therefore too sweet. Underhopped as well

Last edited:
Love that Craigrrr, Brewery in a barn is really interesting. . looking relaxing & nice to see beers other than ipa.

8902059A-7998-47A6-8D14-2C0F688D53D0.jpeg
It’s been a while since I’ve been here. They fell into a lot of sours and fruit brews a couple years ago. Thrilled to see ipa, Alt, Vienna , stout. Love it again! The feel of the place with old brick is really nice

This thread is in need of a serious BUMP…

Groove Brewing - Scranton, PA

Very cool little nano-brewery in an old mechanics garage. Can’t wait for the Summer when they will throw the garage doors open and the vibe will be oh so chill. Nice crowd, great service, great time.

On tap:

9B34CF66-7C9A-43F1-870D-4F01E05E5A82.jpeg

Rye Porter and Coffee Blonde (absolutely sublime).

F351CDBA-4D36-400C-9E49-5CB4CED5542E.jpeg

L-R: Kölsch, Sour, Red Ale, Chocolate Raspberry Stout

EE624868-BAAB-4817-BF6C-3F0984E5F505.jpeg

The kit:

FA13508C-6B65-4CAB-97ED-DB72C0E130DE.jpeg

F04290EC-9477-43A0-93EA-BF60C2132F5C.jpeg

I'm real curious about that coffee blonde.
Any tasting notes?

I'm real curious about that coffee blonde.
Any tasting notes?
Honestly, it tasted just as the name suggests. It was a really easy drinking, low bitterness blonde ale that had subtle coffee notes in aroma and taste. Too much coffee would have gotten in the way and it wouldn’t have been as crushable. This one was balanced perfectly. It was almost as if the coffee subbed in for the hops. This type of beer has gone on my list of “things to do”.

Hoo boy. @Semper Sitientem and I went to the Academy St location of Jeckyll Brewing in Alpharetta. Jeckyll is a medium-size brewery, with their main building filled with 50 barrel systems, but this place in downtown Alpharetta has a small 5 barrel 'test' system installed, along with a small distillation system. We spent the entire day with Paul Trail, their Master Brewer, building a Belgian Honey trippel.

Started at o-dark-30, mashed in at around 9, sat around for the 90-minute vorlauf, then started the boil around 12:30. Finally into the fermenter at around 3 and helped clean up a little, quitting at 4 for a flight from the taproom.

I was surprised at how similar to my homebrew the process is. Just on a larger scale, so some things take longer. It really happened, so here are some of the photos.

Paul in front of the mash tun (left) and boil kettle (right), with the hot liquor tank at the rear. Way in back you can just see the fermenters.
IMG_4806.JPG

The massive plate chiller. Using tap water he got 175 gallons of boiling wort to pitch temperature in about 15 minutes, the hot water replenishing the HLT for another day. He said it would go even fater if he had a bigger pump.
IMG_4816.JPG

Pitching the yeast, a (big) package of WLP530, and later a bunch of slurry of WLP500 from the fermenter just hidden behind Paul, which had a lemon saison IIRC (I forget exactly). Semper Sitientem watching.
IMG_4832.JPG

Hoo boy. @Semper Sitientem and I went to the Academy St location of Jeckyll Brewing in Alpharetta. Jeckyll is a medium-size brewery, with their main building filled with 50 barrel systems, but this place in downtown Alpharetta has a small 5 barrel 'test' system installed, along with a small distillation system. We spent the entire day with Paul Trail, their Master Brewer, building a Belgian Honey trippel.

Started at o-dark-30, mashed in at around 9, sat around for the 90-minute vorlauf, then started the boil around 12:30. Finally into the fermenter at around 3 and helped clean up a little, quitting at 4 for a flight from the taproom.

I was surprised at how similar to my homebrew the process is. Just on a larger scale, so some things take longer. It really happened, so here are some of the photos.

Paul in front of the mash tun (left) and boil kettle (right), with the hot liquor tank at the rear. Way in back you can just see the fermenters.
View attachment 24797

The massive plate chiller. Using tap water he got 175 gallons of boiling wort to pitch temperature in about 15 minutes, the hot water replenishing the HLT for another day. He said it would go even fater if he had a bigger pump.
View attachment 24798

Pitching the yeast, a (big) package of WLP530, and later a bunch of slurry of WLP500 from the fermenter just hidden behind Paul, which had a lemon saison IIRC (I forget exactly). Semper Sitientem watching.
View attachment 24799
Very cool Don thought you might of grabbed some slurry from one of the fermenters for home:D!
Guess you'll be back in a month or so to try the beer:)!

View attachment 24797

View attachment 24798

View attachment 24799
Sounds like a pretty incredible day!

View attachment 24797

View attachment 24798

View attachment 24799

Back