I visited a brewery today!

Visited Jester King last Sunday and thoroughly enjoyed their brews. Here’s their cool ship for spontaneous / natural pitching
42B2FEE2-0311-4C5F-9114-BC543524B11D.jpeg

@Craigerrr they cool the wort in this shallow pan, exposed to the yeast and bacteria from the ranch, for natural inoculation. Their Spon line (spontaneous) is well regarded and expensive. World class. Have seen it done with wine as well.

https://vinepair.com/articles/coolship-belgian-beer-brewing-techniques/ I have been researching how to put a Cantillon brew on top of fruit (raspberries) and got some good ideas from the visit. Will use dregs of two jester King brews as part of the next fermentation.

@Craigerrr they cool the wort in this shallow pan, exposed to the yeast and bacteria from the ranch, for natural inoculation. Their Spon line (spontaneous) is well regarded and expensive. World class. Have seen it done with wine as well.
Cool!

They were also widely used by breweries before pumps and plate chillers became available/cost effective. There was a non-sour brewery in the UK using one until the 80s. If your beer has enough hops you don't really need to worry about the souring you get from a relatively small stay in a shallow cooler. And for places like Jester King and Cantillon only about 5% of the different microbes come in via the air overnight and 95% come from the microbes that live in the wood in the brewery and the barrels.

And even more info and history from a current UK brewery that decided to put one in for all their beers, sour and non-sour - https://beerofsmod.co.uk/blogs/news/the-koelship-a-flat-cooler-for-all-occasions

We are at Myrtle Beach this week. On my way to Tidal Creek Brewing. Shuttle of about 14 people. Pics coming later

Last edited:
Blonde is tasty, touch more bitterness and aroma than some, quaffable. The IPA is nice, bitterness is pulled back some so WC? Porter has a nice chocolate and coffee tasty but not featured in the taste, quite tasty. Saison is so so. Of course not being a drinker of them it may be awesome.

I was wondering if you were still in Florida. If you were in Orlando, I would have recognized the places LOL.

Terrella Brewery

Spent the day patting the animals and enjoying the wide open spaces and festivities at this laid back brewery where it seems anything goes.
20230709_115857.jpg

I've been wanting to come here and check this brewery out for a long time.
Their focus is brewing German Style lagers with a science based brewing method but grounded laid back rural location.
20230709_115639.jpg
some horizontal lagering tanks.

A peak into their canning machine
20230709_115631.jpg

Anyhow I enjoyed some overly sweet guava infused ciders but their lagers looks pretty good just can't tell ya what they tasted like lol.

Back