I brewed today!

The only yeast I've ever used in my oatmeal/chocolate stout has been WLP004 Irish Ale yeast. I have some Kveik in the fridge (dry packet) that I may try out on it next time. The WLP004 tends to quit a little early, IMO. Either that, or I'm not controlling temperature well enough in the mashing. I figure I'm getting too much unfermentable sugar in the wort somehow. and rarely get below 1.025 with the FG. I think the Oatmeal/Chocolate stout would be a bit better with a dryer finish. Thanks for the ideas, guys.

The only yeast I've ever used in my oatmeal/chocolate stout has been WLP004 Irish Ale yeast. I have some Kveik in the fridge (dry packet) that I may try out on it next time. The WLP004 tends to quit a little early, IMO. Either that, or I'm not controlling temperature well enough in the mashing. I figure I'm getting too much unfermentable sugar in the wort somehow. and rarely get below 1.025 with the FG. I think the Oatmeal/Chocolate stout would be a bit better with a dryer finish. Thanks for the ideas, guys.
I used VOSS Kveik in a Porter once.
I didn't like it, it had a zingy citrussy flavor.
It did fade over time and was enjoyable, but it took quite a while.

I would give the kviek a swing. You could shoot for a lower fermentation temp to control esters, but overall it should be a decent beer! I personally really like Voss(i think i have mentioned that before on here lol)

I would give the kviek a swing. You could shoot for a lower fermentation temp to control esters, but overall it should be a decent beer! I personally really like Voss(i think i have mentioned that before on here lol)
Fermentation Temperature is not a problem. I have a dedicated fridgadeezer and can monitor batch temps to control the fridge with a little Inkbird. My biggest temperature control issue is mashing, but hoping to resolve that soon. We did a little decluttering and had a yard sale last weekend. Gonna sneak some of that cash for a new RIMS tube. Already have a second Inkbird. Just a matter of building the controller and tuning the system then I can brew again.

Well, yesterday, but it's been busy.

Brown on the boil. Hope it doesn't run off the side...
0267574F-B930-4329-A4C1-CA8692A65A2F.jpeg

Get your balance the way you want, but I did an Oatmeal Porter that came out great using WLP004, 2oz Fuggles in 5 gallons, about 9.6% Flaked Oats, Maris Otter Base 61.5%, about 13.5% Munich, about 7.7% Chocolate 350, about 3.8% C120, and about 3.8% White Wheat for even more head retention.
Very tasty, nice and light @4.8%, flavorful, and crushable at the same time.
You can play with the malt, but I would use an English base, English hops, and an Irish Ale yeast. That yeast is what makes that beer really tasty.
I mean you can probably ferment at 50 billion degrees for 3 seconds, but why enter it then?

Did a fullers ESB clone on Friday. Have never used wyeast 1968 esb yeast before. Took off within 6-8 hours and is done after 36 hours. Gonna let it sit for another week. But haven't seen sacc yeast launch like that before.

SmartSelect_20240519_073037_Brewfather.jpg

Yesterday I brewed one of the kits I picked up from Morebeer. I put it straght into the fermenter on top of the leftovers from the previous batch.
I poured out any remaining beer then added a quart or so of fresh wort. Sloshed it around to get it liquefied and off the bottom. Poured in the rest of thr wort and let rip.
This morning it is going to town. Picked up about 5 degrees (f) and gravity is dropping WAY faster than the 1056 did in the first run. Overpitch?

Yes...
But thats nothing to worry about

Back