I brewed today!

This may make some people cringe, but here goes.

The cast iron grates on your stove are a lot like mine. Depending on how Low your lowest burner setting is, the grates will probably hold the pot way up over the flame. During the mash I stir and check temp every 5-10 minutes or so. If the temp starts to drop out of my comfort zone, I regularly turn my burner on its absolute lowest setting so that the flame is not touching the kettle and slowly raise temp that way. Yep, my brew bag is on the bottom of the kettle. I’ve never had any problems probably because the flame is so low and I stir regularly. My mash temp never fluctuates beyond +/- one degree of target.

As long as you are checking often I don't see any problem with this method of maintaining mash temp.

I did my first full kit using DME and LME.....weird but fast. LME must be really delicate stuff. I managed to scorch some on the bottom of my kettle! I hope the kveik I am using is going to clean up the bitterness that the wort had and I hope that bitterness was not from the scorched LME! I think from here out, extract is for starters!

Resized_20201223_182321.jpeg

You really need to kill the flame before adding LME and make sure it's thoroughly mixed in before restarting. Stirring often and reducing the boil to barely more than a simmer can help too. The easiest solution is using DME only.

You really need to kill the flame before adding LME and make sure it's thoroughly mixed in before restarting. Stirring often and reducing the boil to barely more than a simmer can help too. The easiest solution is using DME only.

Yes sir...lesson learned! That was part of the instructions that I managed to overlook....took me back to to high school.....If the teacher didn't tell me HOW or WHAT I was gonna use some algebraic equation for, I blew it off! I have since learned that there is a whole lot of "solving for X" in Life!

I did my first full kit using DME and LME.....weird but fast. LME must be really delicate stuff. I managed to scorch some on the bottom of my kettle! I hope the kveik I am using is going to clean up the bitterness that the wort had and I hope that bitterness was not from the scorched LME! I think from here out, extract is for starters!

View attachment 13335
Yes, LME is delicate stuff. Ask me how I know.... If you have enough scorching to notice, the yeast won't clean it up. Call it kettle darkening.

Yes, LME is delicate stuff. Ask me how I know.... If you have enough scorching to notice, the yeast won't clean it up. Call it kettle darkening.

lol..."Enhanced Maillarding to evoke an abundant bittering" ......I can see it on the label now! The wort was bitter enough for me to notice as I tasted the FG sample from the beaker....any suggestions to mitigate that while it's in the primary??

lol..."Enhanced Maillarding to evoke an abundant bittering" ......I can see it on the label now! The wort was bitter enough for me to notice as I tasted the FG sample from the beaker....any suggestions to mitigate that while it's in the primary??
No, unfortunately. The wort will lose some of its bitterness as it ferments. Nothing to do for the scorching, though.

View attachment 13335
Oh dude i hope so any time ive burnt the wort on my element it has resulted in a Dumper I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you.

View attachment 13335
That sucks big bunochi's bud!

@Nosybear @Trialben @Craigerrr ....thanks for the pointers and sympathy! Fingers crossed The fermentation is starting to slow so I upped the tempature some more hoping for salvation by the fruity esters of kveik! Let's see what 80° F does!
You'll have a fair idea of how it faired once fermentation is done. I'd pull a sample then and have a good taste test on it you know really swill it around the mouth searching for any offensive acrid burnt ness but if it passes this packaging is good to go.

You'll have a fair idea of how it faired once fermentation is done. I'd pull a sample then and have a good taste test on it you know really swill it around the mouth searching for any offensive acrid burnt ness but if it passes this packaging is good to go.
This man speaks from experience, let us know the outcome. Hopefully you dodge a bullet here!

Yeah, that bottling may be as early as tomorrow, a quick visual this morning shows a still carboy and dropped krausen it may be time to test. Stay tuned sports fans!

Brewed a strong dry stout yesterday with a # of chocolate malt, a # of black malt and a # of roast barley with 20 #s of 2row in the 65L digiboil. With the mash tube. It barely fit on 12gal of strike water. 24# would have been to full on 12 or to thick with less water. We be getting there. ;)

Brewed for fun
.Was at LHBS before Christmas and someone brought in a box full of malts. Some were open some were sealed. Said they were left from an estate. I trust these guys by the way. They said help yourself to what you want. I spotted a 10# sealed bag of L.D.Carlson Vienna 6row malt so snagged it. We opened it, smelled it, tasted it and all was good.
Brewed it as a smash with cascade. Wish us luck!

Brewed for fun
.Was at LHBS before Christmas and someone brought in a box full of malts. Some were open some were sealed. Said they were left from an estate. I trust these guys by the way. They said help yourself to what you want. I spotted a 10# sealed bag of L.D.Carlson Vienna 6row malt so snagged it. We opened it, smelled it, tasted it and all was good.
Brewed it as a smash with cascade. Wish us luck!
Sounds tasty!

Back