I brewed today!

If you have OG measurements from both hydrometer and refractometer that will work. If not, you can use the WRI average as you collect samples. You may be off a point or 2, but it's better than no readings at all.
I just went through my brewing notebook, looking for measurements collected by hydrometer and refractometer at the same moment in a brew session. With 16 measurements from actual brew sessions, I come out with a WRI correction factor of 1.042, which seems to be well within the expected range. This exercise alone reminds me that I need to be much more stringent in collecting data at the appropriate times, and writing that information in my book. I found some holes in my records.
I have to give props to my wife, who is more tech savvy than I, for figuring out how to get the table to work on my iPad.

As long as your hydrometer is accurate and your refractometer was zeroed for the readings that should work.

1.04 is pretty much the "default" correction factor for wort. Looks like you nailed it.

Porter 1.050

Attachments

• IMG_20200707_130024.jpg
    IMG_20200707_130024.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 44
Chinook Pale Ale in the fermentation fridge cooling to pitching temp. Happy with the results after going to 90 minutes for both the mash and the boil. Also reduced boiloff rate, only bagged 2 of the 5 ozs. of kettle hops and left out the false bottom. Temperature control was a little tighter without it. Hit my OG, ended up with a quart of extra volume and picked up a little over 5 points BH efficiency.

I cleaned kegs and kegged third run of pale in 4 beers. In a week or so I can put all three pales in a taste test.

Bob, increasing mash time Improves efficiency. I do step mashes all the time now, but the added time in the MT Is the key that gets me consistent 88% BH efficiency on basic ales. Milling to .032 isn’t hurting either. Does boiling at 90 rather than 60 increase efficiency?

Increasing the boil time gives me more water to sparge with. One of the biggest things I'm fighting with my system is the 2 gallons of dead space under the malt pipe. The extra volume makes a big difference.
Another is the crush I need in order to recirculate. Increasing the mash time really helps with conversion when you're milling to .045".

Brewed up the https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1021086/bonkers-tout
Don't think the caramel spread contributed as much sugar as I was hoping for.
Added this at twenty to go mixed with some wort
20200712_150612.jpg

Up on volume 25lt down on gravity but I'm imagining I'm going to have some trub once I add all that coconut to the fermentor.
20200712_155600.jpg

It tastes heaps roasty had some good sweetness to it though will see what ensues next and what carries over to the keg.
Now to get cleaning:oops:...

I brewed a NEIPA on Sunday, did the first gravity reading today, 1.014 , OG was 1.062 on Sunday. The vermont yeast has made light work of it, dry hoping for 4 days then bottling with hop tea for the first time. Colour looks good and hazy and more importantly tastes great and that's before the hops are in, looking forward to this.
20200714_203443-1.jpg

I brewed a NEIPA on Sunday, did the first gravity reading today, 1.014 , OG was 1.062 on Sunday. The vermont yeast has made light work of it, dry hoping for 4 days then bottling with hop tea for the first time. Colour looks good and hazy and more importantly tastes great and that's before the hops are in, looking forward to this. View attachment 10870
That does look real nice man!

Back