I brewed today!

Thanks, it's based on TEB's plans. I silver soldered most of the fittings but left some of the pull through bulkheads. Like on the SS kettle valves. I really like how solid the soldered ones are. The 1.5 tri clover fittings for the heating elements and steam condenser are also silver soldered.

Dry hopped a pale ale this morning, and almost through the boil of a Grapefruit Honey Ale now :rolleyes:
20200617_163626.jpg
20200617_130939.jpg

Brewed a second run of this
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/965441/covid-skare
Using mangrove jacks M76 Bavarian Lager yeast.
I had a brain Fart measuring out grain/milling on this one that I hope works in my favour.

What I did was I measured out my Munich and carahell amount and put them in a bag then weighed out my base malt now when I picked up the "Munich/ Carahell" bag and dumped it in with the rest of the grains I accidentily picked up the Melanoidin bag and dumped that in with the base grains. It was a :eek: moment but then I thought ah what the heck went and grabbed that bag of Munich and carahell and dumped that in too:D.

Not quite sure how much Melanoidin went In:rolleyes: might a been 100g as I put in recipie but I hit my expected final gravity on my pre boil sample so ended 1.054 instead of 1.047 ouch!

I'm quietly hoping this might be a success the wort tasted nice and malty sweet honey like so I'm hoping a subdued version Carrys over to the keg fingers crossed...

Let her buck, she'll be right.

I measure all my grains into a bucket from each source and then just grind it all together, so far no real screw ups.

I had a brain Fart measuring out grain/milling on this one that I hope works in my favour.

What I did was I measured out my Munich and carahell amount and put them in a bag then weighed out my base malt now when I picked up the "Munich/ Carahell" bag and dumped it in with the rest of the grains I accidentily picked up the Melanoidin bag and dumped that in with the base grains. It was a :eek: moment but then I thought ah what the heck went and grabbed that bag of Munich and carahell and dumped that in too:D.

Not quite sure how much Melanoidin went In:rolleyes: might a been 100g as I put in recipie but I hit my expected final gravity on my pre boil sample so ended 1.054 instead of 1.047 ouch!

I'm quietly hoping this might be a success the wort tasted nice and malty sweet honey like so I'm hoping a subdued version Carrys over to the keg fingers crossed...
Keep us posted! I'll cross my fingers too!

Only using about 120g of Cascade for this one so I'm going nice and easy. ;)

Was messing around with my other kettle since the new bit showed up. Holes are drilled but I have small leaks from the heat sticks, going to have to futz around to figure out the best way to seal them.

Only using about 120g of Cascade for this one so I'm going nice and easy. ;)

Was messing around with my other kettle since the new bit showed up. Holes are drilled but I have small leaks from the heat sticks, going to have to futz around to figure out the best way to seal them.
They'll seal once it reaches temperature.

Never thought of that. I need to run some boil off tests once I get everything put together anyway so it's an easy thing to test against.

image.jpg
A gallon and a half of Herm’s BelWit, my take on a Belgian Witbier. I used 40% U.K. Pilsner, 44.4% flaked wheat, 8.9% flaked oats, 4.4% German acidulated malt, and 2.2% German Munich malt. A spice addition with 5 minutes remaining in the boil consisted of ~5.5 grams of fresh orange zest, 2 grams of crushed grains of paradise and 6 grams of crushed coriander. Hopped with a 60 minute addition of Hallertau Hersbrucker 2.2% AA, and pitched with LalBrew Abbaye Belgian style ale yeast. I hope it ends up tasting as good as it smells. Now off for a three week fermentation.

Ooh I should do a wit, I have 20kg of white wheat and I keep forgetting about it.

This might be your best beer....EVER

View attachment 10617 A gallon and a half of Herm’s BelWit, my take on a Belgian Witbier. I used 40% U.K. Pilsner, 44.4% flaked wheat, 8.9% flaked oats, 4.4% German acidulated malt, and 2.2% German Munich malt. A spice addition with 5 minutes remaining in the boil consisted of ~5.5 grams of fresh orange zest, 2 grams of crushed grains of paradise and 6 grams of crushed coriander. Hopped with a 60 minute addition of Hallertau Hersbrucker 2.2% AA, and pitched with LalBrew Abbaye Belgian style ale yeast. I hope it ends up tasting as good as it smells. Now off for a three week fermentation.
This sound tasty herm look forward to your tasting notes.

image.jpg
My new Speidel fermenter got filled for the third time today, this time with a little more than a gallon and a half of Herm’s IPA July 2020 (such an original name). My O.G. came in just a couple thousandths below recipe projections. The grain bill consisted of ~84.6% US Pale 2-row, ~11.5% US Crystal15 and ~3.8% German acid malt. Primarily bittered with Simcoe, then with Chinook, Centennial and more Simcoe for flavor and aroma additions. For fermentation, I poured about a cup of harvested yeast slurry (US-05) that is now on its third round. Airlock activity is evident just over an hour after pitching yeast.
So now I have a batch bottle conditioning, and 2 batches fermenting. Good times for beer!

I saw this beer on the home page earlier, but it was missing the hops. Was wondering whit kind of hoppy goodness it was going to be blessed with :) Sounds good to me.

View attachment 10750 My new Speidel fermenter got filled for the third time today, this time with a little more than a gallon and a half of Herm’s IPA July 2020 (such an original name). My O.G. came in just a couple thousandths below recipe projections. The grain bill consisted of ~84.6% US Pale 2-row, ~11.5% US Crystal15 and ~3.8% German acid malt. Primarily bittered with Simcoe, then with Chinook, Centennial and more Simcoe for flavor and aroma additions. For fermentation, I poured about a cup of harvested yeast slurry (US-05) that is now on its third round. Airlock activity is evident just over an hour after pitching yeast.
So now I have a batch bottle conditioning, and 2 batches fermenting. Good times for beer!
Just look at that head space!

Back