I brewed today!

I just realized that picture is a bit confusing because of the light coming in from the window. That is a long racking tube stuck into a double bung and then attached to a hose. You can't see where they attach above the bucket because of the light.

In a panic, this was the best I could come up with. The yeast continued to push up the tube and some even managed to make it down the hose. Most of the yeast however fell back down the tube and into the fermenter. The tube was cleaned and sanitized, but that does make me a bit concerned.

Anyway, the big show is over and I removed the blow off and returned the original air lock (cleaned and sanitized :D) to its proper place. Live and learn.
I'm with Headfirst, I hope that you didn't get any nasties working there back down into the fermenter. Next time must keep the fermenter above the bucket, or jar.

Not sure this is the proper way but it’s holding for now. I’m assuming I can put the regular airlock back on after the yeast drops??

Any advice regarding this setup and what to watch for during the rest of this fermentation is appreciated.

You'll be fine! When your batch gets its act together and the blow off tube is ready to be replaced, just spray down the bung and any of the surrounding area that you may touch with some Star San or what ever you sanitize with, then replace the tube with your lock...looks like you are using a 3 piece? I have had the same problem before ..the only thing I would do different is not to make the blow off travel so high...no sense in it flowing back into the tank.

Paupack huh? As in the Lake??

Last edited:
You'll be fine! When your batch gets its act together and you don't need to use the blow off tube is ready to be replaced, just spray down the bung and any of the surrounding area that you may touch with some Star San or what ever you sanitize withthen replace the tube with your lock...looks like you are using a 3 piece? I have had the same problem before ..the only thing I would do different is not to make the blow off travel so high...no sense in it flowing back into the tank.

Paupack huh? As in the Lake??
Yeah, I was panicking trying to rig something up. I thought time was of the essence without something sealing the top, but in hindsight I should have just set the fermenter in the sink and patiently put together something more practical. I considered cutting the racking cane down to a short stub and maybe I should have made that sacrifice. I'll be ready next time.

Paupack, as in Lake Wallenpaupack indeed. More specifically, as in Paupack Brewing Co's "Paupack Cream Ale". One of my favorite summer beers.

I should have just set the fermenter in the sink and patiently put together something more practical. I considered cutting the racking cane down to a short stub and maybe I should have made that sacrifice. .

Yeah, I upcycled a 2 bulb lock that I broke off and stick it into a chunk of tubing that I run into a bottle of water and sanitizer that sits below the level of the krausen...but hey, in a pinch, ya do what works...no need to explain!

It is as simple as this.
I put this one in a tub because the stopper kept popping out!
This was about 2 years ago, but don't worry I was panicking!
IMG_20180818_1034440.jpg

IMG_20180818_0828098.jpg

Slacker :D I didn't make my brew day again today. It's been postponed for 15 days now, and I'm retired.. Definitely will be up and start tomorrow before the sun rises. My yard project won't get in the way this time. Thirst is a powerful motivator.

When I was a regional sales manager for an automotive diagnostic equipment mfgr. I often started classes for my client's sales teams with that line and found it to be very effective in getting their attention.

image.jpg
Fermenter filled less than 24 hours after it was emptied. I put this batch of Herm’s Pale Ale V on the yeast cake from Herm’s Luna Azul. In under 15 minutes, the airlock is already bubbling. The hydrometer sample is still warm, but using the calculator adjusted for temperature, my OG is 1.063, exactly as planned. Party on!
@Craigerrr notice the spigot flipped.

Last edited:
View attachment 10439 Fermenter filled less than 24 hours after it was emptied. I put this batch of Herm’s Pale Ale V on the yeast cake from Herm’s Luna Azul. In under 15 minutes, the airlock is already bubbling. The hydrometer sample is still warm, but using the calculator adjusted for temperature, my OG is 1.063, exactly as planned. Party on!
@Craigerrr notice the spigot flipped.
You have snatched the pebble grasshopper!

Brewed a blonde ale today, did an ESB yesterday.

Sunday was brew day for me: Speltweizen. Using up some of those grains I bought, I made a dunkelweizen with about 65% spelt malt. It's fermenting away downstairs, could be interesting.... I also used some of that undermodified malt from Texas as my Pilsner so a decoction was in order.... Walked away from it for a few minutes and got a bit of scorching, both there and on the heating element, that one from switching it on by accident without switching on the pump.... This one gets named "Gott ist gut," if it turns out drinkable. If not, it's worm food and I'm out the cost of the yeast and some hops.

Sunday was brew day for me: Speltweizen. Using up some of those grains I bought, I made a dunkelweizen with about 65% spelt malt. It's fermenting away downstairs, could be interesting.... I also used some of that undermodified malt from Texas as my Pilsner so a decoction was in order.... Walked away from it for a few minutes and got a bit of scorching, both there and on the heating element, that one from switching it on by accident without switching on the pump.... This one gets named "Gott ist gut," if it turns out drinkable. If not, it's worm food and I'm out the cost of the yeast and some hops.
I really like Spelt. Not sure why more brewer's don't use it. It always makes its way into my Saison's.

Back