I brewed today!

Just finished putting a Quad in the fermentor, 1.078 base gravity. I'll add another 2# of dark candi syrup in three days to bring it up to 1.092.

Just finished putting a Quad in the fermentor, 1.078 base gravity. I'll add another 2# of dark candi syrup in three days to bring it up to 1.092.
1092! Good Lord!
How big was the batch Nosy?

5 gallons. 15 pounds of grain, 2.5 pounds of syrup.
As of 4:00 this afternoon it had already chewed through 15 gravity points. I did give it supplemental oxygen this morning because, if it's halfway through the sugars, the syrups go in tomorrow evening.

As of 4:00 this afternoon it had already chewed through 15 gravity points. I did give it supplemental oxygen this morning because, if it's halfway through the sugars, the syrups go in tomorrow evening.
Really interested to hear how this one turns out!

Just brewed a Winter Ale, this was my first brew using a mash tun, no more bags for this guy. With the, roughly, hour to kill i kegged my last brew, a GLBC Christmas Ale clone, set it @ 30PSI, will see how it turned out this time tomorrow.

Just brewed a Winter Ale, this was my first brew using a mash tun, no more bags for this guy. With the, roughly, hour to kill i kegged my last brew, a GLBC Christmas Ale clone, set it @ 30PSI, will see how it turned out this time tomorrow.
I broke the bag out for the 1st time in a yr or two last weekend. It was a nice change and I shaved a couple hours off my typical brew day. I'll continue with my cooler mash tun, but I may bring my bag out a bit more often here and there. I'm considering adding a bag to my cooler tun and ditching my braided hose set up. Actually, I know I'm going to.

I broke the bag out for the 1st time in a yr or two last weekend. It was a nice change and I shaved a couple hours off my typical brew day. I'll continue with my cooler mash tun, but I may bring my bag out a bit more often here and there. I'm considering adding a bag to my cooler tun and ditching my braided hose set up. Actually, I know I'm going to.
I must say that the clarity of the wort was pretty darn... well, clear! I liked the new process, I was very pleased to hit my mash temp, pH was a little high, but okay at 5.65, end volume was a little low, and efficiency was up... Okay, all over the map, but I enjoyed it!

I must say that the clarity of the wort was pretty darn... well, clear! I liked the new process, I was very pleased to hit my mash temp, pH was a little high, but okay at 5.65, end volume was a little low, and efficiency was up... Okay, all over the map, but I enjoyed it!
Haha, sounds exactly like my first brew stepping away from BIAB.

Although taller, my kettle diameter is almost the same as my 10 gal. cooler MLT, so when I ordered a brew bag just got one deep enough for the kettle. Only mod I made to the cooler was to install a street elbow that gets within 1/4" of the bottom. Works great and virtually eliminates dead space losses. I do tilt a bit to get every last drop. After batch sparging I remove the lid, fold the upper part of the bag over a couple of times and pull it well off of the bottom and screw the lid back on tightly enough to hold it in place, allowing it to drain while bringing the rest of the wort to a boil. This brings my grain absorption down to expectations of BIAB.

Actually thinking about doing this MIAB year round and forgetting BIAB completely.

These are the bags I used/use for BIAB. Great bags and he makes them for rectangular coolers also, which is what I have.
https://biabbags.webs.com/
He posts deals all the time over at HBT.
Thanks for the tips @BOB357. MIAB may be the route I'm taking.

Yep, same site I used. Would have bought his pulley setup too if I'd seen it before I bought these:
81HmtHbegUL._SX569_.jpg

7B9B6676-A2C4-4AB3-A944-B3A77192EBE7.jpeg

Hop debris trapped in our filter bag process transferring wort from Boil Kettle to Fermenter. Right at 5 oz. Brewday suffered a nasty stuck sparge that yielded a 1.053 vs the expected 1.060. Oh well... more sessionable.

Yep, same site I used. Would have bought his pulley setup too if I'd seen it before I bought these:

Ill tell you a trick if you buy both and you can get them at lowes also but you hook the regular pulley at the top then the ratchet pulley hooks to bag that way you can unlatch it and lift it with one hand

Wow! Sounds like beer thirty after all that brewing. Been thinking of doing double brew days, but it just sounds like too much work for a fat old man.
Its not too bad with good help, we mashed IPA in, prepped and boiled water (then cooled) for wheat so IPA was in fermenter before wheat finished boiling. Had time to watch a couple ball games while finishing dishes and eating dinner. Maybe a couple of alieve and a brew or two.

Use a bag in the mash tun, no stuck sparge, cleanup is a treat.

You absolutely should.
IYQS6zh.jpg

Back