I brewed today!

Made a porter for the second time yesterday, will have to decide if I really want to put vanilla bean in this one or not. I kinda regretted doing it last time, although the beer did turn out very nice after sitting for about 6 weeks.

I made an Irish Dry Stout yesterday with some recipe improvisation because the site was down. (See my rant under "Feature Requests.") My LHBS had roasted barley 300L and I seemed to remember my recipe called for 500L and I thought it was 14 oz and I seemed to remember 1.5 lbs flaked barley, etc. The offset to not buying what I wanted was crossing my street in New York City and finding, in the middle of the road, a couple sprigs of fresh, fresh hops. Wild hops in Harlem? Santa Claus? The leaves weren't even wilted and the flowers hadn't been crushed by traffic! There were only 12 cones and didn't have a lot of fragrance, but I added them. I'm sure they will bring good karma to the beer.

Brew on, PZ

Random whole cone hops just laying around, in NY?
That's unbelievable!
Were they growing or did they just fall out of someones shopping bag?

They had been growing minutes before I found them -- they were that fresh. There were two pieces, each about 12 inches long.There *are* magnificent hop bines up at the Cloisters, but the museum (sadly) has a look-only-no-touch-no-brew policy. (I did bury my face and inhale deeply, however.)

I brewed yesterday, my nice fall brown , I just love this beer this time in a extract or partial mash. I actually used demerara sugar and ground all 6 pounds down to a flour instead of brown sugar just because I had it and was lazy

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... /brownsuga

I keep having to pop the lids and clean out and re sanitize the 1/2 inch blow off hoses, Kroesen is pushing up the lid lol

Last weekend, forgot to post, a 3 gallon batch of Kentucky Common, BIAB. Not my usual style of brewing but due to family issues, my brewing time has been cut way back.

Pumpkin Beer is bottled, wish I would have brewed it about 2 or 3 weeks earlier.
Porter got racked and will be bottled some time this week; no vanilla this time.

Too many lagers crowding up the beer fridge, so I made a simple honey blonde.

As part of my quest to brew all the classic styles (or as many as I want to drink) I am beating wyeast 1084 like a dead horse. With this yeast I've made an Irish Red, a dry stout, and today, an Anglo Pale Ale, which should walk and talk like an APA. It uses the Irish yeast, MO malt (England), caramel 40 (US) and Galaxy hops (with a bit of Cascade to round it out) from Australia. The best part of the day was the temperature of the tap water -- a chilly 72! Down from 85.

After all the cleanup -- brewing plus taking the spent grain to New York City chickens and a kicked keg -- it will be a quiet evening on the couch with a book and the cats.

Berliner Weisse. Wife wants some for a bread recipe she saw in Zymurgy. Now, anyone have any Waldmeister syrup?

That's a good reference. Since I didn't do the long boil I'm expecting some DMS in the beer - pilsner malt was half the grist. I could have done the decoction scheme but it would have taken far too long. Today I tasted the wort - still no fermentation from White Labs' European Ale Yeast but I'm not worried yet - no "vegetal" flavors to report although a DMS precursor - can't remember the chemical's name - is tasteless. Maybe the fifteen minutes boil time were enough but generally with Pilsner Malt, I use 90 minute boils. But given the traditional no-boil method, I'm wondering if some DMS is not a part of the beer's flavor profile. In any case, we'll see in a week or so if I made creamed corn or cabbage stew.

And I'm happy to report that the European Ale Yeast has roused itself and is fermenting away nicely!

I brewed twice last week.

The first batch on Friday was a big (7%) Oatmeal Stout.

On Saturday, I brewed the collaboration beer with the local hop grower.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... izing-weed

I overshot my efficiency so I ended up not adding the sugar and still hit my OG.

Both fermented @ 67° and seem to be finishing up.

Brian

I brewed today, brewed a session beer.
all it is is 7.5 lbs Pilsner dme and mosaic then Amarillo, should be light thin and 4.5% and 25 ibu, it will taste sweet at first but after a long conditioning the hops will go away making the carbonation bite take over the bittering and balance out perfect

Brewed MY Pale Ale recipe last weekend, reverting back one iteration for comparison, then it's either that one or the one I'm drinking now.... kinda thinking the one I'm drinking now is it. :)

Brewed "udaman" this morning, another Pale Ale that was really good first time out, so trying it again.

Two brews last week. Finally got around to pumpkin ale on Wednesday and yesterday I brewed Kottbusser on a prototype Ruby Street 15 gallon rig. Some notes on the beer and the brew day are on my blog.

Ambitious brew weekend, as I brewed two beers in tandem, and while properly allowing for some lag time in between, completed them both. An interesting way to get two batches done, without shutting completely down and starting back up. Never have I done this before, and with the allowance of much forethought, the procedure went as well as could be expected. Two beers with one cleanup, and as I store my brew gear in the basement, less effort humping those infernal stairs. Such is my plight. Also, the added difficulty of severe finger damage to the right hand from a previous wood working mishap, requiring many stitches and the re attachment of one severed digit, I was truly a Left Hand Brewer. Difficult was my task indeed, but how much greater the rewards.

5 Gal Bohemian Pilsner
5 Gal English Mild

Back