I brewed today!

I used to love Rose Monday (Rosenmontag): It would take three days to recover from it! Got a Foreign Export Stout into the fridge last weekend....

I used to love Rose Monday (Rosenmontag): It would take three days to recover from it!
Now that I believe!
Like Oktoberfest, I used to want to actually experience such events...
...and then I got old and have changed my mind. :rolleyes:

I lived in the Rhineland, where they took "Karneval" seriously! Start drinking in the middle of the afternoon, finish sometime the next day. And it was wine (or stronger) on the Mosel! I can remember not remembering several Shrove Tuesdays.

I lived in the Rhineland, where they took "Karneval" seriously! Start drinking in the middle of the afternoon, finish sometime the next day.
only 2 days?

Did a break in batch on a friends new set up , hit all the targets and had a few laughs /drinks during it
3 heads are better than 1 and looks , smells and tastes just like it should !

Merican Funk got brewed today , numbers worked out, got to use my new pH meter, no boil over temp controller set and yeast givin their marching orders
Good brew day ; if only I could talk someone into doing the dishes :)

Attachments

• IMG_0063.JPG
    IMG_0063.JPG
    789.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0064.JPG
    IMG_0064.JPG
    889.6 KB · Views: 128
Merican Funk got brewed today , numbers worked out, got to use my new pH meter, no boil over temp controller set and yeast givin their marching orders
Good brew day ; if only I could talk someone into doing the dishes :)
Did your mash ph go to plan Llewellyn? What did u use to adjust ph the water calculator on here if so did it line up with your ph readings?

Brewing up bohemian floor malted Pilsner today mashed in ph was 5.3 happy with that thanks to lactic acid my new brewery acquisition :) over acidified me sparge water though:oops: 3.9ph will this matter?. Ended up tdoing a split mash 50mins at 61c and 30 mins at 67c then mash out 75c ten minso_O. Boiling now about to throw in 60 minute Bittering additiion 10g mag:). Will flick some pics at completion wish me luck I've got some cleaning to do:cool:.

Did your mash ph go to plan Llewellyn? What did u use to adjust ph the water calculator on here if so did it line up with your ph readings?
Sort of @Trialben ..used 10% phosphoric acid to drop measured level down to 5.4 .....kinda left with even more questions related to brewing water ...looks like my water is in between all styles to be classified as good ..
A search of amazon has me budgeting for a portable RO system for my brewing water then rebuilt the ions

Yea it doesn't take much I've found to drop ph a point or two have to be careful with that stuff. I'm sure an RO system would look great in your brew house along side that glycol fridge:).

So efficiency wasn't so good this batch 73% @ 1.044, 3 points shy of my recipe based estimate of 1.047 going by 78% efficiency. Nothing too different this brew. I mashed real low at 61c maybe conversion wasn't fully complete? Same mash volume same boil time doesn't matter too much just less alcoholic :rolleyes:. My pre boil was only one point shy of recipe based estimate @ 1.048 I only got 6 points out of the boil maybe this is where it went wrong maybe not as vigorous boil? I boiled 90min as per usual.

How light is this brews colour though! I'm sure it's my lightest coloured brew to date. sample tastes nice too not to high in bitterness.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    406.7 KB · Views: 117
So efficiency wasn't so good this batch 73% @ 1.044, 3 points shy of my recipe based estimate of 1.047 going by 78% efficiency. Nothing too different this brew. I mashed real low at 61c maybe conversion wasn't fully complete? Same mash volume same boil time doesn't matter too much just less alcoholic :rolleyes:. My pre boil was only one point shy of recipe based estimate @ 1.048 I only got 6 points out of the boil maybe this is where it went wrong maybe not as vigorous boil? I boiled 90min as per usual.

How light is this brews colour though! I'm sure it's my lightest coloured brew to date. sample tastes nice too not to high in bitterness.
Dang ! That is light ...makes fosters look like a stout lol

Dang ! That is light ...makes fosters look like a stout lol
Nothing but pilsner malt in that one Llewellyn. Nothing for me to hide behind in this brew its chilling atm down to 10c.pitching temp. Ive spun up a decent starter for it so in 24 it should be underway.

Yet another attempt to clone my go to commercial beer (Coopers pale ale)
i won't even be fermenting this batch but am handing it off to my apprentice in a cube and starter care package along with instructions on how to look after my baby .

Ben mate that looks fantastic !
look after that one until i get there to taste it

Yet another attempt to clone my go to commercial beer (Coopers pale ale)
i won't even be fermenting this batch but am handing it off to my apprentice in a cube and starter care package along with instructions on how to look after my baby .

Ben mate that looks fantastic !
look after that one until i get there to taste it
I bought a bag of sodium percarbonate for this brew not cutting corners anywhere on this brew. Well will find out how good my cleaning and sanitation is. Lol

Howd your pilsner end up there mark?

not done a Pils in quite a while now mate , last one i did came out very well but was slightly too dark
Well.you know your going to get great results with floor malted bohimian pilsner malt. I see some recipes with german carahell in them but no need to if sticking true to style.

I brewed my standard brown porter today. In the past, I've added coffee or raspberry flavoring in the last 10 minutes of the boil. My wife wants a vanilla porter, so I'm going to add real vanilla extract when I keg it. I'm thinking 4 tbsp should do it. Maybe I'll do 5. That'd be 1 tbsp per gallon.

Back