I brewed today!

I brewed today, experiment 3 on the same all grain self malted barley, difference I used store bought flaked grain instead of making my own with oats, rice and corn. hit the numbers right on

Scottish light 60/-

Gave my new false bottom its maiden voyage.

Brewing now a Lawnmower beer, 4.5 % abv for my lake trip next month

Not brewing today, but bottling my first vanilla porter.. pretty jacked about it too.... tastes and smells really nice. Really looking forward to this one.

GernBlanston said:
Scottish light 60/-

Gave my new false bottom its maiden voyage.

Like masticating thespians, I believe you are guilty of a Spoonerism, my friend! That phrase sounds a whole lot nastier than it really is....

Getting supplies for a Saison today, if we get there before the Brew Hut closes. Gern, ya got nothing to do around 4:00 this eve, why not join us for a pint?

MrBIP said:
Not brewing today, but bottling my first vanilla porter.. pretty jacked about it too.... tastes and smells really nice. Really looking forward to this one.

I accidentally found a great way of getting vanilla into a beer: Use store-bought clear syrup and make candi syrup from it. It has vanilla and vanilla is a very persistent flavor, not broken down by heat, so it survives into the syrup. For a Porter I'd just buy a pound of the syrup with vanilla, pour it into a heavy saucepan and start heating. Control the temps so they remain below 295 degrees and cook it until it's very dark. Add back a half-cup of water to make a syrup. Result is dark burnt sugar and dark rum flavors but with vanilla.... Very nice flavor, unfortunately vanilla is a distracting flavor in the Belgian blonde.

^
That sounds interesting....
For a robust porter

Nosybear said:
GernBlanston said:
Gern, ya got nothing to do around 4:00 this eve, why not join us for a pint?

Sorry to miss you. Working in the basement setting up the Snooker table. When its up and functional I will be able to play within 6 feet of my kegerator. Raincheck?

Rain check it is. Will let you know...

90° Belgian Saison. It's now warming - you read that right - in the fermenter up to fermentation temps. I'm using a heating blanket to bring it up to the temps it likes.

Ozarks Mountian Brew said:
ooh do smell bananas yum lol

Surprisingly, it doesn't go all estery at that temp, not with the Wyeast Belgian Saison strain.

White IPA ....

The rules came out a few days ago for the local annual homebrew contest:
"ALL BREWERS WILL BREW A WHEAT RECIPE. Our only requirement is that 25% of the grain bill must include a wheat grain."
... just happened to be that I had this beer next on my brew schedule and it just happens to have 26.2% white wheat in the grain bill. :) ... that meets the requirement. So hopefully it turns out ok.

Follow-up on the 90° Saison: Fermenting away nicely, so far no stalls (common using Wyeast 3724), down to 1.024. Last time it stalled in the 30's. Still bubbling. Some sweetness but no excessive esters. I think I'm going to like this once it's dried out.

6 gal Munich Helles. carboy in the chamber and coming down to pitching temps (48f). All equipment cleaned up and put away by 9 am. Love those early brew days.

Nosybear said:
Follow-up on the 90° Saison: Fermenting away nicely, so far no stalls (common using Wyeast 3724), down to 1.024. Last time it stalled in the 30's. Still bubbling. Some sweetness but no excessive esters. I think I'm going to like this once it's dried out.

Nosy, do you start it out warm, or do you pitch at normal temps and then raise it up after a few days? I know its a Belgian, but it seems that a warm pitch would produce some undesirables, especially during the growth stage.

I brewed today, My Latest IPA with 4 ounces of hops, 3 at 2 minutes, can't wait to try it, I'm testing first taste off the tung with a blend of hops I'm trying to perfect

Belgian Witbier. Light on the spices, hopefully long on subtle Wit flavors (will be seen). I even added a tablespoon of flour to the boil to up the starch haze.

Back