I brewed today!

Brewed a Porter today! First time I got roughly 80% efficiency! Its pretty exciting! Last porter I made I got about 35% so its much better. Og is 1.068. Og of the first was 1.044...not great. Its going down the drain.

I'm brewing a Nut Brown today. It won't taste like my last one, as my LHBS was out of the hops I use for aroma. Who knows? Maybe I'll like the replacement better.

Just finished brewing my London Porter - started at 6 AM and finished at 10! Not too bad, and that included a 90 minute boil.

Overall I'm pretty pleased, but my false bottom came a little askew so I got some grain debris in the runoff. Not very much so I hope there won't be any noticeable off-flavors, but I gotta secure it before the next brew.

I was looking for 70% and only got 63% (target OG: 56, actual OG: 51). I can live with that, but I'd like to clean things up and get a little more out of my mashing. I did this one a good bit higher (158 °F) than previous ones, but I got complete conversion, so I don't know where I would have lost extract.

My first two batches came in right on target - both used German Pilsner Malt for the base. These last two were both low, and both used Maris Otter. Hmmmmm....

That yoopers pale ale looks like something you could really sink your teeth into. Thirsty I think it's all in the sparge mate;) and practice makes perfect especially if your trialling a new piece of equipment. 1.051 ain't a bad starting gravity if you want to boost alcohol you could just make a syrup up.

Oh I'm doing a 5 hour boil today but not wort:eek: I'll be boiling or steaming I should say my Christmas pudding:)

thanks and thanks to Yooper, I always hit my numbers but this time its a little higher just because I stirred every 15 minutes and l do like a medium alcohol beer, this turned out to be about 6% should be good

tmp_26809-IMG_20161204_112148-363272676.jpg

Brewing a Rochefort 8 clone today (almost finished the old case)...
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/283864/rochefort-huit

Last edited:
Still? They are both shared.o_O

Was a long brew day without my sidekick. System was due for a cleaning before brewing so added some time at the beginning. That extra pair of hands is missed when not here. She was working, and doing 2 at a time gets into to much goin on at once. Still a fun challenge though. About 9hrs for 20 gallon. Next brew will be the 21st.

I have my system down pat and my 10 gallon batch is now is running about 4.5 to five with set up clean up so the same 9 for 2 unless I stagger but chilling would be a pain for me doing that hmmmm

I should be able to shave some time off when I get a little more used to it. Have had extra company so beer is flowing freely this holiday season. Must Brew On!

At 20 gallons at a time! Gee you don't muck around. It must be a good feeling flavouring your brews with your own homegrown hops.

At 20 gallons at a time! Gee you don't muck around. It must be a good feeling flavouring your brews with your own homegrown hops.

They don't have as much bittering as store bought but the aroma is great and with a few pounds to work with...

1.051 ain't a bad starting gravity if you want to boost alcohol you could just make a syrup up.

Yeah, I gave in and did just that... 1/2 lb of brown sugar brought it up to 1.056.

25 hours later it was already down to 1.038... Go, Yeasties, Go!!

They don't have as much bittering as store bought but the aroma is great and with a few pounds to work with...
that's all you need I see that's how your using em. If I'd taken the time to grow and preserve my own hops I'd add them late too. Don't want to waste them to bitterness. Have you tried First Wort Hopping with this .

Yeah, I gave in and did just that... 1/2 lb of brown sugar brought it up to 1.056.

25 hours later it was already down to 1.038... Go, Yeasties, Go!!
Yea I find the gravity drops quick in first few days the slowly chews through the last 10 or more points to finish yep their my little heros too:).

Back