How many BF brews have you done?

I have done 67 batches in 8 years. The first quarter were 5 gallon extract kits. Since then it's been all-grain. I think with all-grain there is more of a "I made this" feeling. Growing my own hops is a possibility but don't really have the space on a small city lot.

I generally brew Irish, Scottish & American brown beers. My favorite so far has been a Traquair House Wee Heavy. I have a batch of that bulk aging at the moment. A surprise beer was a Kviek SMaSH made with Golden Promise and El Dorado hops. I made it to try something outside my comfort zone and it really turned out great. That one is #3 in the queue.

Just about to hit the 70 brews mark next week, started in 2017, first one was extract but all grain since them. I’m like Hawkbox and many others, I enjoy the entire process right from grinding to drinking. I like almost all my brews but there are two, one being a ESB that is so so smooth, the other a Mango Milkshake NEIPA that I feel is to die for. The problem with the NEIPA is as soon as my friends find out it is on tap it goes fast.
My main yeasts are London III, Nottingham, S05 S04.
These are all 21L batches.
Ah grinding, haven't gotten to that point yet. I will either get it pre-ground from NB or I will go to my local brew shop that is 1/4 miles from my house (I really lucked out on that one hehe) and will get the grains and use their mill. But SOON I will be on your level with grinding my grain fresh!
giphy-downsized[1].gif

Starters brewing last March. I am at 52. All 2 gallons or less. All grain minus one extract with Kveik since I had a low supply at one point. I brewed faster than I was learning if that makes sense since I didn’t wait to taste and see if screwed up I just kept brewing lol. My favorite that I’ve brewed is probably a Munich Dunkel, ESB or the last Irish Stout I made.
Did you drink all of that by yourself?!!!

Zero........sorry. I use another programs. :)

I have done prolly 25+ home brew since I started. All have been all grain, biab

84 brew sessions so far!
Favorite? Hard saying! I like so many!
Probably either Shuttz Brown Ale or Shuttz Light - Very different beers - but each so tasty in their own way!
I do All-Grain and love it for the same reasons most do - control :)

I have yet to do a lager. I have just never liked ANY lager from the store except for maybe Long Board and always prefer Ale's. Although I just did a Lutra which is still conditioning and is probably the closest thing I have done to a lager so depending on how that turns out I might consider doing a legitimate lager. I just have to wait until I have an adequate fridge for cold crashing and lagering in.
I'll admit store bought lagers are watery compared to home brew, so don't be afraid to brew one, you can even brew a lager type of beer with hot head ale yeast, try it

Did you drink all of that by yourself?!!!
No i have a few friends that get a bottle each brew. With my current batches I have 3-4 bottles and a full keg. A few batches have been gifts where I have all away but a bottle or two for me. I’m on an every 2 weeks schedule now.

The web page shows 10, but my records indicate 18.
It seems that at some point, clicking the 'brew' button in the iOS phone app didn't record it as a brew session, despite the brew timers being used. Meh.

I brewed a few beers before I joined BF I have to be close to 40 brews in almost 3 years. Most have been 5 gal batches, 1 "down the drain" and a few 2 - 3 gal batches.

The web page shows 10, but my records indicate 18.
It seems that at some point, clicking the 'brew' button in the iOS phone app didn't record it as a brew session, despite the brew timers being used. Meh.
I find snapshots don't record a brew session.

Flaked oats for head retention? How does that work? I am not sure my infant beer brain comprehends what you mean by that lol

I disagree that it does! My position is that it actually harms head retention, due to the make up of oats. What I love oats for is the silky mouthfeel it provides in moderate amounts. It higher amounts it's actually got an oiliness to the mouthfeel, but the rich silky mouthfeel in an oatmeal stout is awesome.

I currently have 348 brewed recipes in Brewer's Friend. Some I've done a number of times, but some were one-offs.
I really like IPAs, and brew them most often but I've made most beer styles. I think my second favorite is a traditional German pilsner. I used to brew 11 gallon batches, but now mostly do 5.5 gallon batches..
I haven't done an extract batch since about 2006 or so.

I have about 400 recipes in Beersmith from years ago, and I should move those over to Brewer's Friend now that I haven't used Beersmith in a few years. I used Beersmith from about 2006 until 2014 or so.

I have about 400 recipes in Beersmith from years ago, and I should move those over to Brewer's Friend now that I haven't used Beersmith in a few years. I used Beersmith from about 2006 until 2014 or so.
I tried using beersmith when I first created my account with BF and I felt like I was running a program that was built for Windows 95, just felt clunky AND they want you to pay for that lol. Was a pretty easy choice to stick with BF considering it is web based, easy API's and a great community!

46 extract or partial grain batches since December of 2018. I started when I retired and figured I'd stay with mostly extract rather than spring for all the gear, build a building, install cooling... . The Southeast of the United States has it's challenges regarding heat. I'm happy with my primitive setup.

51 since joining a little over two years ago. All (except cider) have been all grain using a modified BIAB process. All have been 2.5 gallon batches.

And about 2/3 are Belgian styles.
View attachment 15715

The older I get, the better 2.5 gallon batches sound! BIAB and a small hoist, and everything would be smaller and lighter.

I tried using beersmith when I first created my account with BF and I felt like I was running a program that was built for Windows 95, just felt clunky AND they want you to pay for that lol. Was a pretty easy choice to stick with BF considering it is web based, easy API's and a great community!

My problem with BeerSmith wasn't with the app itself (I think) but, with the 30 day trial period. I signed up for both BS & BF about the same time while I was extract brewing and thinking about going all-grain. By the time I actually started to brew all-grain and knew enough to actually evaluate brewing software, the BeerSmith trial had ended and could not be restarted. Brewer's Friend however kept going and when I hit the recipe count limit and wanted to upgrade to Premium Membership, I knew what the software could do for me and was therefore comfortable with spending the money.

My problem with BeerSmith wasn't with the app itself (I think) but, with the 30 day trial period. I signed up for both BS & BF about the same time while I was extract brewing and thinking about going all-grain. By the time I actually started to brew all-grain and knew enough to actually evaluate brewing software, the BeerSmith trial had ended and could not be restarted. Brewer's Friend however kept going and when I hit the recipe count limit and wanted to upgrade to Premium Membership, I knew what the software could do for me and was therefore comfortable with spending the money.
Yep, right there with you on that one!

One thing I feel beersmith has over brewersfriend is the recipes. I buy a lot of stuff from Northern Brewer and not all recipes are in Brewersfriend but are already in beersmith. I wished Northern Brewer still had their recipe XML export option but they removed that years ago for some reason. Fortunately, you can browse beersmith recipe list and export as XML from there and then import into Brewersfriend, just saves a lot of time with the menial tasks of creating a recipe from scratch in my opinion

Back