How can I fix this...? (Bottling Question)

RASteel

Trial Member
Reaction score
So, the day before Thanksgiving I bottled a batch of an American Pale Ale and then left to go back home for vacation. This morning, I come home to bottles that evidently had "exploded." However, the caps are still on and the bottles are either 50% percent full or 75% full..

Is there any chance I can save this batch? Or is it a complete dump?

Dump CAUTIOUSLY! I'm assuming you overcarbonated the bottles (and that you had a sticky mess under them). If they've partially emptied, that means the gas found a way out without shattering the bottles so you SHOULDN'T have overpressurized bottles waiting to pop at the least bump. Wear safety glasses and gloves - thick ones - when opening as a safety precaution.

Dump CAUTIOUSLY! I'm assuming you overcarbonated the bottles (and that you had a sticky mess under them). If they've partially emptied, that means the gas found a way out without shattering the bottles so you SHOULDN'T have overpressurized bottles waiting to pop at the least bump. Wear safety glasses and gloves - thick ones - when opening as a safety precaution.

I did have a sticky mess... but most of them see half empty already? This means they should be in the clear? I assume there is no way for me to recarb?

Any that have not exploded need to be treated like unexploded grenades, they can cause serious harm. You appear to have added too much sugar at bottling, the resulting C02 has created too much pressure for the bottles to hold. Heed the above advice!!!

I did have a sticky mess... but most of them see half empty already? This means they should be in the clear? I assume there is no way for me to recarb?
I'll be happy if you report back that you safely dumped them. No, no way to recarb, don't even try it.

Yeah....buck up and dump...buck up and keep at it when you brew our next batch.

Put on some gloves you can toss or wash to protect your hands from cuts if you shatter a bottle and some safety glasses to keep any alcohol out of your eyes.

If you got real gushers, put a rag over the top of the bottle cap and use the opener through it to keep the splash down.

Oh yeah...and welcome to the forum!

Best you can hope for is to get a sample taste if one opens without exploding or gushing. Figure out where you went wrong and move on.

Back