Home Reno Projects

I just had my attic topped up to 19" thick of that cellulose, better than R60 now.
Awesome, that should help a lot and not a high $ upgrade. When we bought the owners said that they had a contractor add R50 but I found that in areas it was only a few inches. In shoveling it about I consolidated the depth and I'm going to rent a blower and add more when I'm done up there.

When I bought my house 19 years ago I blew in an extra 6 inches or so in the atic. Now it looks to have settled to only about three inches up there.

When I bought my house 19 years ago I blew in an extra 6 inches or so in the atic. Now it looks to have settled to only about three inches up there.
Go up and fluff it up a bit :rolleyes:
Maybe time to rent that blower again and add another couple hundred dollars' worth.

Just a few more inspections and blessings from the power company and I'll be ready to run the brewery from the sun.

2021-09-05 14.09.45.jpg

Just a few more inspections and blessings from the power company and I'll be ready to run the brewery from the sun.

View attachment 17339
Wholly shoot what you got there 8KW system?

I've got 24 Qcell panels on my roof if I'm brewing and boiling from 10am to 2pm it's all free. 5.4kw system I got running a Fronius inverter.

View attachment 17420
Made that this afternoon... what do you call a solar frosty ale?
A free boiled one;).

I remember when I got my system installed the man said you dont use it it just goes onto the grid and Gov pay you pittance for it so use it while you got it.;)

Unless you got battery storage ... if so I would LOVE to pick your grey matter on it:)

A free boiled one;).

Aye ;)

They do net metering here, I put a kWh into the grid and get one back. I'll always use more than I make (I think) so it's not an issue.

build a solar generator, see youtube there are a lot of ways to do that. I don't have batteries as I couldn't justify the cost of UL/CE listed stuff and our power doesn't go out very often. I may invest in a standby generator interface so I can use the PV power when the grid's down.

@Trialben Most states here require Net Metering: you sell power to the grid at the same price you buy it for. Actually a pretty good deal, financially.

@Trialben Most states here require Net Metering: you sell power to the grid at the same price you buy it for. Actually a pretty good deal, financially.
Wow that's a great deal we get shafted here in Aus I'm sure I'm getting 10c /KW here that I push onto the grid.
I produce twice as much as I use.

My power was out yesterday from 8-4pm (new pole install) remember getting home and saying to the missus pity we can't tap into our solar and just use what we generate while the power is out.
Tesla do a power wall thing and I thing LG are the two battery market providers here in Aus but that's around 10g investment so gunna wait a bit.

Wow that's a great deal we get shafted here in Aus I'm sure I'm getting 10c /KW here that I push onto the grid.
I produce twice as much as I use.

My power was out yesterday from 8-4pm (new pole install) remember getting home and saying to the missus pity we can't tap into our solar and just use what we generate while the power is out.
Tesla do a power wall thing and I thing LG are the two battery market providers here in Aus but that's around 10g investment so gunna wait a bit.
Well technically you could tap into what the panels generate, but it requires some electrical work and a little bending of the rules. Yeh, or 10 grand...

Here are a couple of before pics on the kitchen and the basement at the new place.
Kitchen is nice, but dated, cabinets are getting paint, and new door/drawer fronts. New quartz counter top, and the space to the left of the fridge will get filled in with a cabinet with pot and pan drawers..
The kitchen reno will be done before moving day
upload_2021-9-17_9-38-14.png

Pretty much a blank slate in the basement, will be putting a bar in here
upload_2021-9-17_9-43-8.png

This will be a TV/entertainment area
upload_2021-9-17_9-44-7.png

Building a spare bedroom in this area
upload_2021-9-17_9-44-58.png

Next three pics will start out being a temporary office until the bedroom is built, then it will become my brewing area.
It is about 8ft x 10ft.
Will need to figure out venting, and possibly vapor barrier in the room to keep from getting kicked back out to the garage...
upload_2021-9-17_9-47-1.png

upload_2021-9-17_9-47-20.png

upload_2021-9-17_9-47-42.png

Too bad they sheetrocked before adding electrical outlets...

Too bad they sheetrocked before adding electrical outlets...
They left a few inches at floor height, and used metal studs so shouldn't be too difficult to figure out, but yeah, that is a head scratcher for sure...

Back