Home Reno Projects

It darkens when exposed to sunlight. Quite a bit actually. It's cool to see how much the floor in the kitchen has changed. It really mellows out the difference in the colors. Because of this I probably won't put the furniture back in the room for a few months.
Oooh! Bowling alley!

It darkens when exposed to sunlight. Quite a bit actually. It's cool to see how much the floor in the kitchen has changed. It really mellows out the difference in the colors. Because of this I probably won't put the furniture back in the room for a few months.
That wood has plenty of character very nice!

Forgot the picture.
upload_2021-5-17_18-53-38.png

Looks about as tight to the ground as mine! Code here is 2x10's for the beams, and 2x8's for the joists. I had no choice but to go 2x8's and 2x6's. I went with one more beam than necessary, which spaced them closer together.

Yeah it was built with a wheelchair ramp in mind and was part of what appealed to us when we bought it. My mom is in a chair and having the house be wheelchair friendly makes it more appealing to visit. We're going to basically redo it the same as it was with a few tweaks and actually use pressure treated wood this time.

Looks good Craig, when the new one is done I'll have to get pictures.

That would be shredded newsprint. Cellulose insulation.
Is that fireproofed? I've never heard of that being used like that. Mind you my loft is another bedroom now and insulated with 100ml of Celotex panels so no room for further insulation.

Is that fireproofed? I've never heard of that being used like that. Mind you my loft is another bedroom now and insulated with 100ml of Celotex panels so no room for further insulation.
Yes it is. The previous owner had it blown in on top of the original fiberglass insulation. I had to shovel it around to work, very dusty stuff.

Sistered all the rafters under the array and added knee walls.
Are those 2x6 rafters? I say that because I think 2x8s wouldn't need to be sistered with that knee wall.

So outside, these panels will probably pay your electric bill from now on, mostly. Any local storage? Or just straight grid-tie?

Are those 2x6 rafters? I say that because I think 2x8s wouldn't need to be sistered with that knee wall.

So outside, these panels will probably pay your electric bill from now on, mostly. Any local storage? Or just straight grid-tie?
Yup they're 2x6 and they're 19' 8" long. The array weighs 2560 lbs and then there's the 70psf snow load here.
The simulator says the array should make about 18900 kWh per year and we use about 19500 kWh. Electric heat (ground source heat pump).
No storage just straight grid-tie.

Cool!
I just had my attic topped up to 19" thick of that cellulose, better than R60 now. The existing insulation was brutal. You could see the tops of the rafters, and the rafters are 2x4. Half of the upstairs was cold in the winter, and hot in the summer. We are seeing a difference in the comfort level on the top floor now. Lower bills will be a bonus.

Back