Home made pizza

Pulled a sourdough ball out of the freezer an hour or so ago for a pie tonight. First one from this batch, the crust was thin and not soggy. Pastrami, a few cheeses, garlic, thin sliced onions, Cremini mushrooms and Kalamata olives for toppings over herbs and tomato paste with a splash of Port on tonight's iteration.
Also ready to do the last stretch & fold on tomorrow's loaf.
I like the olive selection and put red wine in my sauce, but port, that sounds good. Cheers!

I'm experimenting with trying to get a super thin crust just right.

I can't! Either it doesn't have enough stretch to make it big enough (and hence thin enough) or it's too chewy, etc. Last week, it was ok but a bit hard.

I have a lot of experience with cooking and making different doughs- but for the life of me I can't make a great thin crust pizza.

What are some of the secrets to a thin, crispy (but not tough/hard!) crusts?

Try a 60% hydration. Rolled thin with a rolling pin. Rest warm for at least 10 minutes. Then onto a preheated hot stone. 550° should do it, and double up the stone for more thermal mass. That makes a big difference. Last but not least, lighten up on the topping! Less is better including the sauce and the center should have the least.
Good Luck,
Brian

You know what and dont take this as gospel just like everything i write on here but.... next pizza base i do ill leave a proved dough in fridge overnight

Ive found its heaps more forgiving when its cold.
It dont stick
Its firmer
You get great spring (not that you would want baking pizza though)
I suppose ill have to try it out and post results.

Was in the middle of supper before I remembered to take a pic. Here's half of the pie :) Turned out well. I did pre bake the crust for about 3 minutes because there was a pile of toppings and feared it might be soggy otherwise.

Pie.jpg

Pretty simple dough: 16 oz. AP flour, 8 oz. warm water, 8 oz. 50//50 starter discard, .2 oz. dry yeast, 1 oz. oil (olive or peanut), 0.4 oz. salt
Add yeast to warm water, let sit for 10 minutes, add remaining ingredients and mixed well. Turn out on floured counter and knead w/flour as needed to get a firm ball that passes the stretch test.. Split and either use fresh or freeze. Makes 2, 12" pies.

upload_2020-4-13_20-52-14.png

upload_2020-4-13_20-52-39.png

Number 1 in the new oven on Aerobake 500° for 9 minutes.
Number 2 for 8 minutes.
The rise and crust are divine! I just have to dial in the time and temperature.
Next time i'll drop it to 450°
and I included my cutting tool of choice on #2
Cheers,
Brian

image.jpg
Fresh dough ready to shape.
image.jpg
Shaped dough
image.jpg
Dough on perforated pizza tin for pre-bake
image.jpg
After 5 minute pre-bake
image.jpg
All dressed up and ready to bake, topped with a homemade sauce that we put on ravioli, Trader Joe’s Quattro Formagio, red onion, crimini mushrooms, zucchini, fresno peppers and black olives. This is a vegetarian pizza.
image.jpg
Finished product

Oh, my stove needs to be cleaned!

Last edited:
View attachment 9611 Fresh dough ready to shape.View attachment 9612 Shaped doughView attachment 9613 Dough on perforated pizza tin for pre-bakeView attachment 9614 After 5 minute pre-bakeView attachment 9615 All dressed up and ready to bake, topped with a homemade sauce that we put on ravioli, Trader Joe’s Quattro Formagio, red onion, crimini mushrooms, zucchini, fresno peppers and black olives. This is a vegetarian pizza.View attachment 9616 Finished product

Oh, my stove needs to be cleaned!
I love the topping selection!

That looks good philjohnwilliams. Did you use sourdough, or a dough made with packaged yeast?
I have a sourdough pizza dough fermenting in fridge since yesterday morning; looking good. It is hot here today (100 degrees F) but I have a sourdough loaf fermenting, too. Bake bread tomorrow morning, maybe make pizza Sunday night.

I'm sure it doesn't count, but my girls are making friday night build your own pizzas on Pita's, bless their hearts. It's been a long week for me, getting into a few pints tonight too Lads and Lassie's!View attachment 9710
Works for me! My wife and daughter make little mini pizzas with canned dough that turn out great.

Businesses are opening up here lately. We were considering going out to dinner, but after yard work and other chores, I had a couple shots and a couple beers, so went with what was in the fridge. Did a Heinz 57 Pizza. The sauce was Rotel with the liquid drained and then pureed, Irish Cheddar cheese, some black olives, sweet onions and chicken/asiago sausage, all on a sourdough discard thin crust. Topped it off with Parmesan and red chile flakes. Turned out really nice for a kitchen sink cook :)

Mexi Pizza.jpg

Done.jpg

Businesses are opening up here lately. We were considering going out to dinner, but after yard work and other chores, I had a couple shots and a couple beers, so went with what was in the fridge. Did a Heinz 57 Pizza. The sauce was Rotel with the liquid drained and then pureed, Irish Cheddar cheese, some black olives, sweet onions and chicken/asiago sausage, all on a sourdough discard thin crust. Topped it off with Parmesan and red chile flakes. Turned out really nice for a kitchen sink cook :)

View attachment 9758
View attachment 9759
Yum. I'm looking forward to having another crack at a pizza this eve your not going to like this bob but it will be vegetarian pizza...:rolleyes:
Missus mum is over but maybe I can just spit that dough ball make it extra thin crust and get some ham or salami in on the action;)!

Back