Home made pizza

tonight's endeavor...mash dough and leftovers...BBQ sauce , chicken and a little cherry tomato and spinach for color

20200410_180445.jpeg

20200410_183347 (1).jpeg

OK, so I scored at the "new" Giant eagle tonight. They had my flour, so I bought 2 and should have bought more.
King Arthur unbleached bread flour. My favorite that hasn't been available anywhere for quite some time.
I say "new" because I just moved and it's not my usual store to find it at.
Never the less, I'm thrilled that I found some.
Now for the real problem.....
I have an oven with settings i haven't used before.
Has anyone used a Fisher Paykel oven before?
Brian

OK, so I scored at the "new" Giant eagle tonight. They had my flour, so I bought 2 and should have bought more.
King Arthur unbleached bread flour. My favorite that hasn't been available anywhere for quite some time.
I say "new" because I just moved and it's not my usual store to find it at.
Never the less, I'm thrilled that I found some.
Now for the real problem.....
I have an oven with settings i haven't used before.
Has anyone used a Fisher Paykel oven before?
Brian
Can't help with your oven, but we had 20# of flour and 2# of yeast shipped directly from King Arthur. Just in case you're interested.

That's great, I never thought that they'd ship to individuals.
Thanks for the info!
Brian
Yeah, the King Arthur sight has a lot of good stuff on it. All kinds of recipes and helpful stuff.
It did take a few weeks to get our shipment, but we've got flour and yeast now! I think we got a shipment of flour from Walmart as well.
Hope you find some!

I'm experimenting with trying to get a super thin crust just right.

I can't! Either it doesn't have enough stretch to make it big enough (and hence thin enough) or it's too chewy, etc. Last week, it was ok but a bit hard.

I have a lot of experience with cooking and making different doughs- but for the life of me I can't make a great thin crust pizza.

What are some of the secrets to a thin, crispy (but not tough/hard!) crusts?

I can't! Either it doesn't have enough stretch to make it big enough (and hence thin enough) or it's too chewy, etc. Last week, it was ok but a bit hard.

I have a lot of experience with cooking and making different doughs- but for the life of me I can't make a great thin crust pizza.

I've had the same problem, the only way I found is rolling flat with a pie roller 1/8" thick and over cooking the bottom to crispy so no yeast is really needed but I use it anyway, oven baked at 550F on the bottom rack on a stone

@Yooper you can't tease us without pictures of your pies!
I've worked on the same. It's hard to get a nice this crust with the right bite and chew. So far I've had the best luck cutting back some on ingredients and making sure the oven is super hot. Mine goes to 575 so that's where I set mine.

I’m no expert and struggle with the same results Yooper. But can’t handle the gluten so need to go thin. Here are my steps. I take the dough down to about 3/16” with a roller after stretching as much as possible first by hand. One trick is to roll it as little as possible. Roll it from the center out so it ends up thinner in the center and thicker around the edges. I don’t have a stone, just a Teflon pizza pan with little holes in it. I spray the pizza pan with non-stick and slide the dough on it. Then let it rest warm to rise for a while, an important step. It can easily dry out a bit and I’m thinking of putting some damp paper towels (wrung out thoroughly) over the dough at this point. Then top all the way to the edges and convect bake at 450 for 15-20 min.

I saw on a cooking show once where they partially cooked the crust first before topping it. Haven’t tried that yet. I’m sure it’s like brewing, takes time, patience and perseverance. Cheers!

@Yooper you can't tease us without pictures of your pies!
I've worked on the same. It's hard to get a nice this crust with the right bite and chew. So far I've had the best luck cutting back some on ingredients and making sure the oven is super hot. Mine goes to 575 so that's where I set mine.

We just did this last week- "make your own pizza night" with the grandkids, and I can't believe I didn't take a photo!
We probably have way too many toppings. Let's see. Anchovies, oyster mushrooms, sausage, pepperoni, jalapenos, sweet red pepper, onions, and I think a few more. The 9 year old overdid the anchovies on his and burped fish for hours....................
The 6 year old went with few toppings, but his crust was a bit hard and not soft but crisp.

My stone says to only use up to 500 degrees. We tried baking it for 5 minutes, then adding the ingredients. The crust wasn't soggy or thick, it just wasn't right.

It's quite possible that I overworked the dough trying to get it 12" wide and thin.

The boys had their own mini pizzas and I think they beat the heck out of their dough. For them, that's part of the fun. :)

I like the weight reduction part. If you're ever in a spot and need help with that, give me a call :)

I’m no expert and struggle with the same results Yooper. But can’t handle the gluten so need to go thin. Here are my steps. I take the dough down to about 3/16” with a roller after stretching as much as possible first by hand. One trick is to roll it as little as possible. Roll it from the center out so it ends up thinner in the center and thicker around the edges. I don’t have a stone, just a Teflon pizza pan with little holes in it. I spray the pizza pan with non-stick and slide the dough on it. Then let it rest warm to rise for a while, an important step. It can easily dry out a bit and I’m thinking of putting some damp paper towels (wrung out thoroughly) over the dough at this point. Then top all the way to the edges and convect bake at 450 for 15-20 min.

I saw on a cooking show once where they partially cooked the crust first before topping it. Haven’t tried that yet. I’m sure it’s like brewing, takes time, patience and perseverance. Cheers!

I always do this last part - in a gas fired oven, I prebake the crust on a perforated pizza tin at 420 degrees F for about 5 minutes. This step helps set up the crust, before applying sauce and toppings, to cook for an additional 15 to 20 minutes.

Pulled a sourdough ball out of the freezer an hour or so ago for a pie tonight. First one from this batch, the crust was thin and not soggy. Pastrami, a few cheeses, garlic, thin sliced onions, Cremini mushrooms and Kalamata olives for toppings over herbs and tomato paste with a splash of Port on tonight's iteration.
Also ready to do the last stretch & fold on tomorrow's loaf.

Back