Home made pizza

Hopefully you can view the above image.
That was just a cheese pizza I made from my regular dough.
Cheers,
Brian

Im in the process at the moment of creating a starter I'm on about day four and am starting to get it to double in size. I tell ya I lernt a bit about microbiology doing this "seed starter"
My one bit of advise I found is start it off with pineapple juice instead of water. Reason the pineapple juice instantly drops the ph of the starter around 4.5ph which is encouraging to lacticbacillis and L sanfransico (spelling?) if you mix a water flour starter other bacteria that like a higher PH will start first and delay the and sometimes inhibit the growth of Lactobaccilus for a few days.
Interesting
You could hypothetically use any acid to drop the pH, since you're producing it with the lacto, why not bring the pH down with lactic acid? Most of us have that around.... But the best way I've found to get a good, tart loaf is to proof the starter above 90 degrees F overnight. That really gets the lacto working in your dough and brings out the tartness.

You could hypothetically use any acid to drop the pH, since you're producing it with the lacto, why not bring the pH down with lactic acid? Most of us have that around.... But the best way I've found to get a good, tart loaf is to proof the starter above 90 degrees F overnight. That really gets the lacto working in your dough and brings out the tartness.
True that yes but mine seems to have taken it's nice and sour and it's doubling every couple of hours.

See I read to bring out that extra tart to let the bread proof in the fridge overnight then bake in the morning.
I'm only getting back into it though so maybe wrong

Gotta try the pineapple juice in the starter. The last few attempts with yogurt and flour all grew mold before any signs of fermentation. We've never had a problem with mold here in the high desert.

Dinner time

IMG_20200118_171908_01.jpg
IMG_20200118_173138119.jpg

Gotta try the pineapple juice in the starter. The last few attempts with yogurt and flour all grew mold before any signs of fermentation. We've never had a problem with mold here in the high desert.
If your interested bob here is the link to the pineapple juice. These fellows are hard core sourdough bread mob much like I'd say out hard core brewing mob here :).

Both part 1&2 are quite interesting reads from yeast bacteria perspective both useful to brewing and bread making I recon as both need vigerous healthy pitches of yeast to make a successful product;).
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/10856/pineapple-juice-solution-part-1

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/10901/pineapple-juice-solution-part-2

Here's a pic if how my young starter is going that tape line is where the mixed dough is before activation.
20200119_115525.jpg

Trying my first bread with it today see how it goes...fingers crossed:rolleyes:

I did my started with only organic whole wheat flour and water.
It was plenty acidic after 2 days. Even though I didn't check the PH, you could smell and taste the acidic acid in the starter.
I guess I'm old school.
By the way, my dough came out great and I plan on a bread tomorrow which I'll fill you in on.

Both part 1&2 are quite interesting reads from yeast bacteria perspective bo
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/10856/pineapple-juice-solution-part-1

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/10901/pineapple-juice-solution-part-2

Here's a pic if how my young starter is going that tape line is where the mixed dough is before activation.View attachment 8529

Trying my first bread with it today see how it goes...fingers crossas well,[/QUOTE]i
Bloody brilliant there Mentor that looks tasty.

One thing I remember about sourdough pizza was that super crunchy crust mmm mm
I actually did a 70% hydration on the dough as I wasn't sure if I was going to do a bread or pizza dough. I figured I could do either at that hydration level.
It ended up being soft and a little difficult to work, but in the end, the crust was great!
Next time I'll get down to about a 60% hydration.

Amen brother I went 75% today yet to bake but gee I can't remember it being this difficult to work with lol!
This is how it turned out nothing pritty will have to wait a bit till I cut into it but not a bad first time back attempt
20200119_164709.jpg

This was 500g plain white flour
300g water
10g salt
100g starter.
The inside
20200119_190229.jpg

Last edited:
Amen brother I went 75% today yet to bake but gee I can't remember it being this difficult to work with lol!
This is how it turned out nothing pritty will have to wait a bit till I cut into it but not a bad first time back attempt
View attachment 8532
This was 500g plain white flour
300g water
10g salt
100g starter.
The inside
View attachment 8533
That looks awesome! Nice job.
Looks like we'll have to start a " Bread Thread"

Back