Golden Promise / Cascade

Yep I've pretty much trailed it for ya .
I brewed this one a while ago
5kg golden promise Simpsons
.5 carapils dextrin Briess
Strike temp on mash was 69c single infusion
60 min boil 15g Pacific Gem 60
0min 15g each cascade and pacific gem
Made hop tea 15g cascade secondary (I no chilled this brew) boiled 5min in 500ml water
Into fermentor 1.052 ferment 19c
Re pitched Us05 attenuation crap attenuation 1.020 maybe this accounts for sweetness (reused yeast)

Tasting notes nice clean ale sweet with minor bitterness. Bitterings perfect not to strong. Nice clingy head not big head but stays till the end. Cheers mark D let us know what ya do with with her.

the Crystal would have helped with head retention .
drinking my last attempt right now its a marris / chinook , bugger all head but it laces well at least .

Could be the glass:rolleyes:. Yep I'm chaffing at the bitt try some marris otter

nothing wrong with my glasses !
i worked bars long enough to keep them spotless,cold and never use detergents .
i did step mash that for a very low finish 1.007 , still a tasty beer that turned out close to expectations .
MO will leave a slightly nutty flavour , tasty malt that i will use again and converts very well !

this is probably the best blond ale Ive every made, taste wise but because of the yeast I used it added to the flavor and ended up seaming slightly sweet to the first tung which is what I was going for, the grain, hops , yeast combination and the strict temp at 60 made this a nice blond, very nice I might say

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/255206/blondie

Last edited:
Reactions: J A
Cheers Ozark's will have to put this in the to brew list :D.

I like the hints the golden promise leaves in my brews, i love cascade but prefer centennial. I did a smash with chinook and have it fermenting now, it seems to have turned out nice. I used US two-row and chinook.

You can try extracting the first few litres of your mash and boil it abit to make it a bit consentrated and would add a nice flavour to a simple brew.

this is probably the best blond ale Ive every made, taste wise but because of the yeast I used it added to the flavor and ended up seaming slightly sweet to the first tung which is what I was going for, the grain, hops , yeast combination and the strict temp at 60 made this a nice blond, very nice I might say

Yeah, that's one of yours that I've been very tempted by. Everything about it looks good. I'll have to give it a try, though I think I might be tempted to use Sterling in place of the Saaz.

BTW...by way of correcting my thread drift...I just made a SMASH with Cascade and a local pale ale malt that's turning out really fantastic. I haven't used Golden Promise, but from the descriptions, it sounds fairly similar to my local stuff - really big malt flavor with a good hint of sweetness.

I like the hints the golden promise leaves in my brews, i love cascade but prefer centennial. I did a smash with chinook and have it fermenting now, it seems to have turned out nice. I used US two-row and chinook.

You can try extracting the first few litres of your mash and boil it abit to make it a bit consentrated and would add a nice flavour to a simple brew.
Sorta like a mini decoction mash eh

I was thinking of using that Pilsner malt I got as the substitute for 2 row in this that'd be ok hay?

yes "but" you need a cold fermentation with that yeast, its non nonnegotiable, especially to make it a crisp light tasting beer substitute any other clean yeast and you still need it cold

I was thinking of using that Pilsner malt I got as the substitute for 2 row in this that'd be ok hay?

Here in Mexico we use just two row and hall and it turns out very nice and ballanced with 05 yeast. This is using my 200 ltr system.

Cheers rick think that blond of Ozark's is next in line on brew list. 200lt system man that is a whole different ball park mate. Probably small compared to the mega breweries. What is ya grain bill like 40 kilo per mash?

yes "but" you need a cold fermentation with that yeast, its non nonnegotiable, especially to make it a crisp light tasting beer substitute any other clean yeast and you still need it cold
So going with 34/70 ferment 12c then will be good. I'm thinking of no chilling into cube leaving it till next morningputting cube in fridge to then cool it down to pitch temps my high tap water temps are killing me trying to get to pitch temps on these lagers I thought I'd go the cube way no infection risks then just haze probs . WhAt ya think. Abey yeast is this your preferred yeast for this brew.

Back