First try at building my own recipe

Steve Machado

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have brewed a few batches with friends but I'm ready to try it on my own. I have put this recipe together by reading other recipes and descriptions of hops and grains. I would like some input as to whether I should make some changes or brew it as is.

Last edited:
I have brewed a few batches with friends but I'm ready to try it on my own. I have put this recipe together by reading other recipes and descriptions of hops and grains. I would like some input as to whether I should make some changes or brew it as is.

file:///C:/Users/Steve%20Machado/Downloads/StevesIPA%20(3).htm
Hey mate the links not working so we can view the recipie. My only 2c for what its worth is try and keep it simple ;).

Is there a trick to link the recipe? I have tried everything and I get an error message.

That link above is to a file on your computer. If you've built it with the recipe builder on this site go to the recipe tools menu near the top and choose Share. If you tick all three tickboxes it will give you a link to the recipe that you can then paste into the first post.

The address that shows up in that quote doesn't look like a BF recipe link. Are you trying to link a recipe using the Brewer's Friend calculator or from some other site?

Recipe is about 20% of the outcome. Let us know how you plan to make it, too.

Too many hops at 60 minutes. You'll have a real tongue burner there. I'd suggest moving everything but the Magnum to late additions or dry hop. Reduce the Magnum to about 1/2 ounce too. The grain bill looks pretty solid and should support 70 to 80 or so IBUs.

Grain bill looks all right. Hops are very heavy on the bittering. Unless you really really love bitter, very bitter, beer I would cut the 60 minute hops a lot.

I agree with everything that has been said thus far. Try to keep the first recipe simple as Steve said and then build up from there. Magnum is a good bittering choice so I'd leave it at that. For your late additions I'd choose two other hops and see how it pans out.

The style is set to English IPA but I assume it's an American IPA.

One hint you can get how much bittering (IBU) your brew will have is to look at the BU:GU ratio (IBU relative to gravity) which you will see if you click the "More..." button in the recipe builder. For an american IPA I think something like 0.8 is a guide line. A bit higher than an english IPA. It's just guide line though....how bitter you like it is all up to you!

Thank you for the input, I have made changes to the hops in my recipe.

It's going to be strong, high ABV wise but if that's on purpose otherwise it looks fine to me. Try it, see if you like it, if you don't, well you can always try again.

My 2c move flavour aroma hops late in boil like 10min and 5-0min and/or whirlpool you should get better hop character then it is an IPA after all.

Water volumes seem strange in having more sparge than strike water
i have few general rules of thumb but break them on occasion
most of the time my sparge is 1/3 of my total liquor
most of the time i'll try to achieve only 1/3 of my total IBU from bittering charge .

hat's a fair whack of crystal type malts for an IPA , i'd be reducing them by half and add some munich .

Since i don't know what your trying to get in the glass this may be completely moot

Back