Egg Drop soup in my wort?

calvindcd

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello fellos,
I brewed 2 Belgian beers the other day. Towards me middle of the process I noticed the word talent a straining looking substance inside of it. Similar to egg drop soup.
I batch sparge single with Fusion batch sparge . Strike water was 164 and I hit about 150 for the man for 1 hour.
What is it? Is it protein that never got fully converted?

Unless some one did crack an egg into your boil kettle while you weren't looking :D.

Sound like a strange conundrum Calvin I definitely wouldn't let the eggy looking substance transfer to my fermentor.

It's called "Cold Break." It's the proteins precipitating out of your beer and it's a good thing.

Unless some one did crack an egg into your boil kettle while you weren't looking :D.

Sound like a strange conundrum Calvin I definitely wouldn't let the eggy looking substance transfer to my fermentor.
Won't hurt at all to transfer this to the fermentor - yeast will love the extra protein! It's flavorless, too, and won't contribute to haze. It's really a good thing to have!

Hello fellos,
"I brewed 2 Belgian beers the other day. Towards me middle of the process I noticed the word talent a straining looking substance inside of it. Similar to egg drop soup.
I batch sparge single with Fusion batch sparge . Strike water was 164 and I hit about 150 for the man for 1 hour.
What is it? Is it protein that never got fully converted?"

Hello.
Was wheat included in the grain bill?
Protein doesn't convert. Glucose converts.
Allow the goop to settle, rack the wort, aerate, toss in yeast.

"Won't hurt at all to transfer this to the fermentor - yeast will love the extra protein! It's flavorless, too, and won't contribute to haze. It's really a good thing to have!"

That is not necessarily true. The only part of trub/break that is beneficial for yeast is minute. To reach the beneficial stuff yeast goes through the slop to reach it. The only time when yeast cannibalizes trub/break is when wort is poor. That means, the brewer failed to produce enough glucose and nutrients for the yeast to do what they're supposed to do. The statement about yeast cleaning up wort is hilarious. It only serves to convince someone that whatever goop appears is OK and yeast will clean it up. It goes along with sanitizer soap foam being OK for yeast. If any of that stuff is good for yeast, something is seriously wrong in the brewing procedure.

To extract the beneficial nutrient from Trub is cost prohibitive. The final consensus, no value to the quality of the final product was gained. You can read all about it in the Journal of the IOB. The benefit has to do with a slight increase in yeast reproduction. I'm not sure where you came up with the statement that goop is good for beer.

Back