Dumbest thing I ever did

Build this with PEX.

Attachments

• 0E85116E-DB1E-4D7E-AA39-22420E5CC002.jpeg
    0E85116E-DB1E-4D7E-AA39-22420E5CC002.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 172
I did a dumb, minor dumb though. I opened my ferm chamber to check if fermentation had started, and then somehow noticed that my airlock was empty. I forgot to put anything in it. Whoooopsies.

I’ve done that a few times lately. Empty or evaporated, I don’t know which. Tonight’s kegged batch had slush in the airlock, 0°C.

I got my expected efficiency today. Yippee!! I replaced my Kölsch that never fermented. Dumped my first batch ever before it was done. It oxidized, like I mentioned elsewhere. I also discovered an anomaly on the Mash & Boil. The basket can interfere with flow out of the spout if it’s too close. Flow pretty much stopped on me due to that.

I am happy to report that my new batch of Kölsch is happily burping away in the garage at 12.8°C after only a day!

I am happy to report that my new batch of Kölsch is happily burping away in the garage at 12.8°C after only a day!
Will be brewing our Kolsch on New Year's Eve day.

The other day I drilled through my freon line on my brand new chest freezer that I was going to use for a keezer.:mad:

upload_2018-1-1_15-0-39.png

A little carpentry goes well for a keezer.
That be a big bummer man. Sorry.

The other day I drilled through my freon line on my brand new chest freezer that I was going to use for a keezer.:mad:
I really feel for you man. And I can empathize...especially that moment when you are thinking "this is going to be the coolest keezer of all times"... then 3 seconds later....%#*&@!!!!!!!:mad:

We've all been there Boomer. And we will all be there again... it was just your turn.

Here’s what I came up with. Good thing it’s designed to leak. I wouldn’t want to solder anything else!

Attachments

• 3E598BE3-EE06-4C60-820C-50BB9B7A41F1.jpeg
    3E598BE3-EE06-4C60-820C-50BB9B7A41F1.jpeg
    570.5 KB · Views: 137
if you used flux make sure its gone before using it, I've heard stories about bad flavors from flux

Of course.

I changed my sparge method, just for kicks. I pulled the grains up on top of the kettle as the product goes, and did a slow drain through my newly made contraption sourced by my suspended bucket of 170° water. I’ll report later on the conversion efficiency. I’m headed toward boil now.

I got 68% conversion efficiency today. Two times in a row I hit 80%, but the last 4 or so since then I can’t even hit 70%.

I got 68% conversion efficiency today. Two times in a row I hit 80%, but the last 4 or so since then I can’t even hit 70%.
Maybe a thicker mash that will give you more Sparge water to rinse out more sugars/flavors?

What’s weird is that I shot for 1.3 like the Mash & Boil manual says. But it felt a little thin. Normally, I have to recycle wort to get all of the grains good and wet. I did use more sparge water. Today than I normally do, by about a gallon. Normally, I top it off after sparging.

if you used flux make sure its gone before using it, I've heard stories about bad flavors from flux

Hmm...I bulit a chiller. I don't remember doing anything to remove the flux. I had a pilsner that had a weird off flavor. It was brewed around the time I built it. Can't say for sure but wonder if that is what caused the off flavors?o_O

Well! Looks like after a few beers last night (maybe to many) I made a purchase lol.

Item Sku Qty Subtotal
Siphonless Big Mouth Bubbler® - Ported 6.5 Gallon Plastic Fermentor
41436 1 $39.99
Big Mouth Bubbler® Universal Lid - Dual Port 41830 1 $5.99
Small Universal Stopper - Drilled 7081 1 $1.49
FermagraF°™ Adhesive LCD Thermometer 41990 1 $3.99
Subtotal $51.46
Shipping & Handling $0.00
Discount (squeeze) -$5.15
Grand Total $46.31

Back