Dumbest thing I ever did

jeffpn

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Who knew I could do a 3 vessel brew? Gotta love risk of having 170° water hanging from a hook in a plastic bucket. When the transfer is done, I’ll put the wort back into the electric kettle and brew on!

Attachments

• 66C7CB8A-CDBB-4947-B8BF-2E5E53F1F60F.jpeg
    66C7CB8A-CDBB-4947-B8BF-2E5E53F1F60F.jpeg
    624.6 KB · Views: 340
I used waaaay too much water. I’m about a gallon and a half over what I want to have. Looks like I’m up for a long boil.

My spent grains taste marvelously unsweet!!

Boil long, or make a more "sessionable" beer?

Option A, boil long. ;)

Agreed on the long boil - it's pretty close to sessionable as is! Option C: Punch it up a bit with some extract to get it back to where you want it....

Still option A. I don’t keep any inventory at home. Adding or subtracting water is all I do for on the fly brewing adjustments.

Ive had the problem before, somehow I messed up my fly-sparge settings. I usually don't use all of my water, I stop it when the boil kettle is at its mark but it ran all of it, even the gunk so I boiled for about 120 minutes and it was fine, always seems like the last 15 minutes evaporates the fastest

Here’s a question for you 3 vessel guys. When your sparge water runs out, do you wait for the mash tun to empty, and that’s it? If everything is right, the kettle volume is where it should be?

good question, I’ve tried this so many ways, you can empty the mash then add the water then stir then empty again or trickle water over the top then empty just as slow never stirring but as far a water amounts I laugh at people trying to hit the exact amount with sparging, you’re going to use water cleaning any way but the answer is doesn't matter how much water is in the hlt you stop when the kettle is at its mark then use the rest for cleanup, I always have extra because you don’t want the last bit of husk and solids in your boil kettle, it just converts to trub anyway

in your case the way I think your doing it, you need a mark on the kettle on the ground telling you the beginning boil amount

I didn’t drain the mash before I started sparging. I felt like it’d be a good idea to keep the mash water level the same. That’d result in the mash mixture having a decreasing sweetness during the sparge. 10 lbs of grains for this recipe. I think I would’ve needed about 2 maybe 2 1/2 gallons to hit my beginning boil volume. How long should I take to run 2 gallons of water over 10 lbs of grain, and would that be enough sparge water to do the job reasonably, say mid 70s or more for efficiency?

I cant tell you that, it all has to do with your flow rate and you can control that with your valves usually but in your case I think its the hose size of the hlt thats determining the speed, I go 30 minutes to an hour my self depending on how much of a hurry I'm in, at this junction you really have to watch it

the water on top of your grain bead needs to be clear before you stop by the way

WP_20171030_12_14_21_Pro.jpg

Are you heating your boil kettle as it’s filling? I don’t have that option. My wort collecting vessel is temporary. My plan is to dump it back into my Mash & Boil for boiling. The wort temp was about 130° at that point. Is that a bad thing?

I do but only half way through but the tempatre makes no difference just don't splash the wort when you pour it back

I’m trying again today. I’m going to really watch my water. 1.3 grain ratio means 4 gallons strike water, and the manual says to use 75% of that for sparging. 7 gallons is probably about right. If not, it should be on the low side. I can add water later if necessary. Funny I’m learning a new way to brew. I used to hit my volume and gravity every time with BIAB and propane.

Back